BMP tone control using a 50K?

Started by carboncomp, July 11, 2014, 09:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carboncomp

Hi,

I wanted to build a BMP tone control this afternoon, but only have a 50K pot, can I change the resistor values to get this to work?

Also, any other recommendations for one pot tone controls to rival the BMPS?

Mark Hammer

50k will work fine, except that you'll probably get a less pronounced tonal difference at each extreme of rotation.  On the other hand, you may find you like that.

seedlings

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 11, 2014, 09:22:38 AM
50k will work fine, except that you'll probably get a less pronounced tonal difference at each extreme of rotation.  On the other hand, you may find you like that.

And the 'less pronounced' ness is even less pronounced... to the point no one would probably notice at all.  I just modeled on Duncan's Tone Stack Calculator
( http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/ )
because you'll want to download and use the neck out of this resource.

The difference between 100k and 50k is, for all intents and purposes, negligible.

CHAD

GGBB

But if you are picky like me - just halve each resistor and double each capacitor - that will give you the same control range and eq curve.  Of course, you probably don't have any 19.5k and 11k resistors nor .008u and .02u capacitors, so you will have to either compromise on the values or parallel the components.
  • SUPPORTER

seedlings

Quote from: GGBB on July 11, 2014, 04:10:36 PM
But if you are picky like me - just halve each resistor and double each capacitor - that will give you the same control range and eq curve.  Of course, you probably don't have any 19.5k and 11k resistors nor .008u and .02u capacitors, so you will have to either compromise on the values or parallel the components.

Haha!  If we're super picky then we wait for B100k pots :icon_biggrin:

CHAD