CE2 clone - ticking with effect engaged and in bypass

Started by Bret608, July 14, 2014, 03:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi all,

About two years ago I built a CE2 chorus on Madbean's Pork Barrel PCB. It's been working fine and sounds great.

Over the last couple of days I've noticed some faint ticking bleeding into the signal. It matches the rate knob's setting. Now here is the kicker--I get it with both the effect on and in bypass. And sometimes it will go away for a bit if I turn the pedal on and off a couple of times.

Does that sound like a simple grounding issue? Please tell me my starting point is just tightening up the nuts on the switch and jacks! Honest, I haven't changed any variables since I built it. It's just got a v3207 (no charge pump or anything), and I'm running it on the same Ibanez wall wart that I always have.

Let me know what this sounds like!

Thanks,

Bret

Mark Hammer

What dual op-amp are you using for the LFO part of the circuit?

Bret608

Mark Hammer

Okay, a TL062 ought to draw little enough current that ticking shouldn't occur.  Are you certain that C19 is good, and installed properly?  C19 has a partial role in smoothing out  any sudden current draw through R31, by providing a sort of teeny-tiny reservoir of current, like the little ledge on your dashboard where you keep small change for the parking meter or toll booth, so you don't have to stop, unbelt, and reach into your pocket.  If the cap is installed backwards, or is not properly soldered, or is damaged, it will not provide that smoothing role, and you will hear ticking produced with each square wave that IC2A produces.

armdnrdy

I would also take care in the routing of off board wires from the rate and depth pots.

Keep them clear of the audio path. (traces, jacks, etc)

Possibly even install RG74/U shielded cable with one end of the shield grounded for outputs and rate pot.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Bret608

Thanks to both of you for the help. Turned out to be off-board/grounding issues all right--the nuts on my footswitch and the depth pot had come loose. Tightened them up a bit and all is good again. I had guessed it was something like that since I was hearing the noise in bypass. I've had this kind of thing happen on other pedals too. I guess I'm too careful about over-tightening!

I did check C19 to be sure...it's still looking new and is oriented correctly. I will remember this though in case I have issues in the future.