Wampker Triple Wreck Clone

Started by Satan Of Saturn, July 15, 2014, 11:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satan Of Saturn

Hi everyone, I just finished my first clone of Wampler Triple Wreck. But a few things are not working right  :icon_redface:  :'(
It uses a 'C' rated pot which are now a days not available in the market. I used an 'A' rated pot, the thing works just the opposite way. In the cream section, I replaced the FET with BC549C, somehow its pulling the volume down and making the sound more fuzzy. And not enough gain in that thing. The good thing is, it is pretty noiseless, (I'm using electronic switching with CD4053). Can anyone help me with this?
Satan keeps our hopes alive

midwayfair

A FET is not the same pinout or even the same type of transistor as the BC549C (which is a BJT). They have different biasing requirements to work.

As far as general troubleshooting: Among other things, post a schematic, the layout you're using, voltages, and pictures. Read this sticky post.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Satan Of Saturn

Ya I noticed that and reversed the transistor.  :icon_sad:

midwayfair

Quote from: Satan Of Saturn on July 15, 2014, 12:22:10 PM
Ya I noticed that and reversed the transistor.  :icon_sad:

It's not "reversed". It doesn't matter which direction you put it in, or how you arrange the pins, if it's supposed to be a FET and you're using a BJT, it won't function properly. It's the wrong type of transistor.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Govmnt_Lacky

Also...

When you say that "C rated pots are not available in the market" do you mean they are not easy to get locally?

Because C-taper pots are rather common and are in full production by a number of manufacturers. Many of whom can probably ship to your location  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

J0K3RX

The cream section is not a good feature for me personally and I am not the only one, a lot of other people have said the same. The TW sounds much better without it and has way more than enough gain. I've seen others use the SHO circuit instead and say that it's a much better fit. There are some other great mods as well but I will keep it simple. Just throwin it out there...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

chi_boy

I'll second the SHO as a better fit, but AFTER the main circuit.  Makes it a simple booster to just make it louder when you want it.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

seedlings

I wired the boost section as a standalone boost to push the TW or other pedals down the line.  Next time I have it open, the pot will be rewired for a level control, and the circuit as a treble boost only.

CHAD

Satan Of Saturn

Thanx for those suggestions.. I'd use them.... what can be a probable substitute for 2N5089? Mod says BC548C. I cant find any of them... I have BC548B... the datasheet says it has much lower DC voltage gain... I haven't tried placing that... but how would that effect the sound?

seedlings

Quote from: Satan Of Saturn on July 16, 2014, 09:53:22 AM
Thanx for those suggestions.. I'd use them.... what can be a probable substitute for 2N5089? Mod says BC548C. I cant find any of them... I have BC548B... the datasheet says it has much lower DC voltage gain... I haven't tried placing that... but how would that effect the sound?

2N5088, 2n3904, any NPN transistor, note the BC548B pins are reversed from a 2N5089:

CHAD

midwayfair

I think you need to link to the schematic that accompanies the layout you used. In your first post, you said you replaced a FET with the BC549C. Now you say that you needed a substitute for a 2N5089.

pappasmurfsharem

If its anything like my triple wreck clone, they don't even have fets. it's all IC based.

Minus the Boost circuit which uses a 2N5089 or similar.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Digital Larry

Quote from: midwayfair on July 15, 2014, 12:46:37 PM
It's not "reversed". It doesn't matter which direction you put it in, or how you arrange the pins, if it's supposed to be a FET and you're using a BJT, it won't function properly. It's the wrong type of transistor.

Now now.  For all we know he might be onto the next big thing.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

J0K3RX

Here's the cream boost/fuzz circuit from the TW.. Not sure where the FET comes into play? :icon_confused: In any case, leave it off... you won't miss it!

Here's the SHO..  You can use a BS170/2N7000/IRF510 etc..

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Satan Of Saturn

Thanx for that...will be working on it soon  :D

Hey guys I wanted to share something with u all... When I couldn't figure out what to do with Wampler clone, I started making Amptweaker TightMetal clone... guess what its awesome... Amptweakers are not found in my country... so built it and it works like heaven... awesome sound... seriously loving the distortion... pretty high gain :-D