Superfuzz pot in place of low/mid switch?

Started by nate77, July 15, 2014, 10:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nate77

I'm building another univox superfuzz and would really like to use a pot in place of the on/on switch that switches the tone filters. I'd like to think it would be as easy as wiring up the pot to gradually move between the two the same way I'd wire a switch to switch from polar opposite sides of the band pass filters but honesty I haven't though too deeply about this yet. Any help out there or direction to a site that has already addressed this (as I'm sure there are many) would be awesome. Thanks and I apologize for the question which I'm quite sure has been asked as nauseum  here. Thanks guys!

LucifersTrip

yeah, what does happen when you put a pot wired as voltage divider between the junction of the 47K/10K and .001/10K with wiper on the non grounded side of balance?  no, that can't be good. there can't be any resistance from either junction to the pot...actually, what happens when there's a large resistance between 47K/10K and the pot while the .001/10K is also connected to the pot?

gotta search the forum. it's probably already been done. dual pot maybe?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cBIzyse_wes/T0EHt4QmTvI/AAAAAAAAA88/Y1fbps_nMsQ/s1600/univox_superfuzz_schematic.gif
always think outside the box

kaycee

I have done what you suggested, just put the wires to the switch on a pot, the pole going to lug 2 of course. It actually works, kind of, not sure that you can still get both the original tones, or even a full range of tones but it was something. I think I ended up with a 10k B pot.

Last one I did used Mark's  'stupidly wonderful tone control 2' and that seemed to be much better. Once again, not sure of you can still get both original tones, but I was hardly enamoured of them anyhow. It's easy enough to put it in after the diodes and before the final boost stage, your still left with plenty of volume. You can mug it onto a vero, or run wires from a PCB and flying mount the parts on a pot.

Mark Hammer

The 47k/10k pair is there to provide a tone change without a volume level change.  Scrap the 47k/10k pair, and insert a 1-5k pot between the .1uf cap and ground, to vary the amount of midscoop.  You'll need to adjust the volume as you reduce the amount of scoop, but it's a useful tonal change, and more flexible than the original arrangement.  The ZVex Octane uses a similar arrangement.

electrosonic

• SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Just to tie loose ends together, the Poindexter is a clone of the Octane, and the Octane itself is really an improved Superfuzz.

nate77

Thanks guys, that's just what I was looking for. I figured that direct wiring up a pot to the filter caps I would loose a good portion of the original character of the two positions but was hoping it might be that easy. Marks alternate tone control setup is pretty slick. I'm gonna dick around with it and see what I get. As always gentlemen, I appreciate the fast and concise answers.