JFET Subsitute

Started by KazooMan, July 17, 2014, 05:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KazooMan

After reading another thread I wound up on The Valve Wizard's site and found the information for the U-Boat Sub-Octave.  I have virtually everything I need to build one except for the J112 JFETs.  Any suggestions for the best substitute that I might already have or one that Steve at SmallBear stocks?  Merlin notes that a J111 is not acceptable. 

merlinb

You need one with Vgs(off) smaller than about -2.5V. J113 and J201 are OK, but others may have more extensive knowledge of JEFT types than me.

KazooMan

WOW!!!  Instant reply right from the source!  This Board is great!

Thanks!

I didn't want to search through a zillion data sheets if someone had a ready answer. 

I don't have any of the ones you suggested, but Steve stocks the J201.

BTW, the "U-Boat" is the smoothest octave down I have ever heard.  It will be fun to play with.

merlinb

Quote from: KazooMan on July 17, 2014, 06:04:48 PM
I don't have any of the ones you suggested, but Steve stocks the J201.
Do you have any JFETs already? If you post the part number I coudl tell you if they'll work.

BTW, the "U-Boat" is the smoothest octave down I have ever heard.  It will be fun to play with.
That's what I was going for!  ;D

KazooMan

Thanks for the offer, but I have already placed my order with Smallbear.  I'll go with the J201s.

Nicholas L

Seems the J201 is quite a popular fet. :-)

KazooMan

A bit of egg on my face.

After I had placed my order I was tidying up my parts bins and found my Baggie of J201s!  Oh well, having.a few more won't hurt.  :)