DIY Envelope Controlled Phaser for Bass?

Started by Freekmagnet, July 18, 2014, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freekmagnet

A DIY envelope controlled phaser for bass?

Anyone out there know of such a beast?

I saw Pigtronix has an envelope phaser out and it sounds like a fun envelope filter alternative.

Nasse

Graig Anderton book "Electronic projects for musicians" used to have envelope controlled phaser, if my memory tells right

• SUPPORTER

Eddododo

Look at the stompboxology article on envelope effects

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Freekmagnet on July 18, 2014, 12:02:24 PM

I saw Pigtronix has an envelope phaser out and it sounds like a fun envelope filter alternative.
Actually, they have two, one which is a generic phaser with envelope control on top of other modes of control, and a 1590B-sized unit that only has envelope-based sweep:

Freekmagnet

Quote from: Nasse on July 18, 2014, 12:26:34 PM
Graig Anderton book "Electronic projects for musicians" used to have envelope controlled phaser, if my memory tells right

Yeah, I saw that. I downloaded the PDF of the book a few days ago. Seems like he had separate circuits for both the envelop follower and the phase shifter that can be combined. I haven't found much else on this specific combo, but it may be worth exploring.

Quote from: Eddododo on July 18, 2014, 12:36:24 PM
Look at the stompboxology article on envelope effects

I'll check it out. I'm pretty much a paint-by-numbers builder, but always down to learn a few tricks.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 18, 2014, 12:49:10 PM
Quote from: Freekmagnet on July 18, 2014, 12:02:24 PM

Actually, they have two, one which is a generic phaser with envelope control on top of other modes of control, and a 1590B-sized unit that only has envelope-based sweep:

That's the one! I've heard a couple demos out there that sound kinda cool - there's one with Doug Wimbish rockin' away on one that sounds pretty cool.

But this brings up an interesting point - I found this project:

http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ17EHPolyphase.html

Provided that the Polyphase has an envelope detector (I'm not sure if it does - I'm a bass player and I don't know jack about phasers 'cuz they never sounded very good to be on bass), would it be a viable option to chop it down like Pigtronix did with theirs?

Mark Hammer

The original Polyphase had an interesting use of the envelope for controlling the phase shift.  It not only adjusted the modulation rate, but also could sum with the basic modulation, providing an envelope-controlled offset.  Said in plainer language, it would sweep higher up the harder you picked.

Freekmagnet

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 18, 2014, 03:46:10 PM
The original Polyphase had an interesting use of the envelope for controlling the phase shift.  It not only adjusted the modulation rate, but also could sum with the basic modulation, providing an envelope-controlled offset.  Said in plainer language, it would sweep higher up the harder you picked.

That would be pretty bad ass for bass guitar.

Freekmagnet

Well, it looks like they speak fairly favorably about the EHX PolyPhase over at Talk Bass, so I'm starting to feel pretty good about this Topopiccione project. It looks pretty a heavy duty build, but I should be able to manage it. I have a few projects on my desk right now, but once I get those out of the way, I think I'm going to take a closer look at this.

I know phasers are an odd choice for a bass, but it keep imagining that that modulating sound triggered by the feel of the instrument. Seems like it would be a really fun envelope filter alternative.

jimilee

ROG has a phasor. It's a phaser with envelop. Gpcb has an swah,  madbean has an auto wah type effect.

Freekmagnet

Quote from: jimilee on July 18, 2014, 11:46:44 PM
RiOG has a phasor. It's a phaser with envelop. Gpcb has an swah,  madbean has an auto wah type effect.

RiOG? Who's that?