SAD1024 on Ebay

Started by armdnrdy, July 18, 2014, 01:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

Get em while they're hot!

$25.70 each....but you have to bid on the lot of 20. $499.00 plus $15.00 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-LOT-OF-20-ORIGNAL-NOS-UNUSED-RETICON-SAD1024-BBD-DELAY-IC-CHIPS-LOOK-/271548259596?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:3160

If any of you forumites wins this auction....I want a finders fee....it will cost you one SAD1024  ;D
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Electron Tornado

Here's some other links for the SAD1024 for comparison:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reticon-SAD4096-Bucket-Brigade-IC-2048-Samples-Tested-and-Guaranteed-Good-SA-/321272440210?pt=US_Vintage_Pro_Audio_Equipment&hash=item4acd546592#ht_215wt_965

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-sad1024.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/-ic-SAD1024_1957970854.html

Looking at what comes up from Alibaba.com, it appears like there are several companies in China offering to manufacture a SAD1024, and in large quantities. Now, whether that's the same SAD1024 delay chip we would all like to see isn't entirely clear. Steve Daniels from Smallbear might have a better idea on that. 
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

armdnrdy

If you are talking about this link:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/-ic-SAD1024_1957970854.html
claiming to be able to supply 1000 boxes a day of SAD1024s....that's not going to happen.

Utsouce is a supplier, not a manufacturer. They deal in a lot of NOS and pulled parts. I have had them sell/ship me NOS parts that were actually pulls with clipped leads!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Electron Tornado

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 18, 2014, 04:17:50 PM
Utsouce is a supplier, not a manufacturer. They deal in a lot of NOS and pulled parts. I have had them sell/ship me NOS parts that were actually pulls with clipped leads!

Thanks for the clarification. I don't go to those sources for parts, so I'm not familiar. The link I got to Alibaba from google showed several places claming to be able to supply a "SAD1024". Knowing there would be at least some market for a chip that could be sold for well over manufacturing cost, I kept wondering why no one was doing it already. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but I wonder what keeps a seller from going to a manufacturer and asking, "How much for several thousand of these?"

• SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

armdnrdy

Quote from: Electron Tornado on July 18, 2014, 04:42:47 PM
I wonder what keeps a seller from going to a manufacturer and asking, "How much for several thousand of these?"

No great demand.

When the SADs stopped being manufactured, pedal makers turned to other BBD designs with what was available MN3007s.

When the 3007s stopped being manufactured, they turned to 3207s.

The "new" pedal market consists of younger folks that includes many who have never played through a pedal with higher headroom, or a flanger with a 512 stage BBD.

The "new" market is content with the pedal being "analog" just like on their parents records. They can now be the masters of that retro sound.

I don't believe that the pedal manufacturers really care if they are peddling an inferior product compared what was available in the past. There is a new standard...a lower one....but it sells!  :icon_wink:

armdnrdy

4 bids later the 20 piece lot went for $660 plus $15 shipping.

$33.75 each

I wonder when somebody is going to come across a whole case of 1024s that have been locked up in a warehouse since the 70s...

and list them on ebay for $2.00 each. Well....we can dream.  ;D

smallbearelec

Interesting!

I had never seen the 4096 advertised anywhere before this. I guess someone found a couple of pieces in a drawer. As for the SAD1024A, I have no clue how good or bad these parts might be, or where they originated. The Chinese semiconductor market is so opaque that it makes a bazaar in Kabul look transparent.

The only company I presently deal with that makes BBDs is Coolaudio, and they have declined to clone the higher-voltage types like the MN300x. To anticipate a question: I don't know where they get their parts made. I was able to prove a business relationship with Behringer some time back, but I have no idea whether Uli & co. own a fab or contract production out.

analogguru

Quote from: smallbearelec on July 18, 2014, 10:02:14 PM
Interesting!
The only company I presently deal with that makes BBDs is Coolaudio Behringer, and they have declined to clone the higher-voltage types like the MN300x.
FIFY

..... I was able to prove a business relationship with Behringer some time back, but I have no idea whether Uli & co. own a fab or contract production out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behringer
.....Behringer is a multi-national group of companies, .....

The company is owned by Music Group, a holding company chaired by Uli Behringer, which also owns other audio companies such as Midas, Klark Teknik and Bugera, as well as Electronic Manufacturing Services company Eurotec. ....

CoolAudio acquisition

In May 2000, Behringer acquired the rights to the entire CoolAudio technology from Intersil Corporation, a US-based semi-conductor manufacturer.

StephenGiles

So behringer is the chairman (I don't do "chair")!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

smallbearelec

Quote from: analogguru on July 19, 2014, 02:58:47 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behringer

Thanks for showing me this! Coolaudio is always so tight-lipped about its management that I never thought of something as simple as a Google search.

Electron Tornado

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 18, 2014, 05:57:36 PM
Quote from: Electron Tornado on July 18, 2014, 04:42:47 PM
I wonder what keeps a seller from going to a manufacturer and asking, "How much for several thousand of these?"

No great demand.

When the SADs stopped being manufactured, pedal makers turned to other BBD designs with what was available MN3007s.

When the 3007s stopped being manufactured, they turned to 3207s.

The "new" pedal market consists of younger folks that includes many who have never played through a pedal with higher headroom, or a flanger with a 512 stage BBD.

The "new" market is content with the pedal being "analog" just like on their parents records. They can now be the masters of that retro sound.

I don't believe that the pedal manufacturers really care if they are peddling an inferior product compared what was available in the past. There is a new standard...a lower one....but it sells!  :icon_wink:

Yup. It comes down to the economics of a particular chip. It makes one wonder what prompted a certain chip to be manufactured in the first place, and what caused production to stop.

As for pedal makers and quality - Quality may be going lower, but it's being driven by dollars. A similar thing is happening in other areas of electronics, and companies have figured out that they make more money by making things cheap and disposable (so you just go buy a new one) instead of repairable. Also, the vast majority of pedal users and music listeners are not audiophiles, nor really that critical about tone. Most want to "sound like" whoever they hear on an affordable digital format through an affordable sound system.

Interesting!

I had never seen the 4096 advertised anywhere before this. I guess someone found a couple of pieces in a drawer. As for the SAD1024A, I have no clue how good or bad these parts might be, or where they originated. The Chinese semiconductor market is so opaque that it makes a bazaar in Kabul look transparent.

The only company I presently deal with that makes BBDs is Coolaudio, and they have declined to clone the higher-voltage types like the MN300x. To anticipate a question: I don't know where they get their parts made. I was able to prove a business relationship with Behringer some time back, but I have no idea whether Uli & co. own a fab or contract production out.

Dealing with the Chinese right now can be a roll of the dice. The time and effort to get a good product may make it prohibitive. Here's a question - what quantity does Coolaudio have to make in order for a production run to be worth it to them?
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

pinkjimiphoton

shoot!!! i got excited for a second
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

armdnrdy

I remember a few years back when a guy was selling 1024s for $20.00

He had about 50 of them....I was a bit short on cash so I only bought a couple.

He was selling MN3005s as well.

It turned out he lived in Fountain Valley about a mile from me so I contacted him and met up and bought a few more.

I'm still waiting for that truckload of SADs to be discovered in a warehouse in Poughkeepsie.  :icon_lol:

Fender3D

Don't chinese ppl say "SAD ten-twentyfouL"?
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge