TCA350 stompbox use?

Started by Luke51411, July 18, 2014, 11:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I found 3 tca350s in an organ I'm disassembling. They are in a metal can 6 pin package, I thought cool big metal can ic type thingies then I find out they are bbds? Is there any value to these or a good circuit to build to use them? There are also  a bunch of transistors in a round black and white package with the marking u1916 I'd like to use some of them because mojo. I can't find a datasheet so I don't know what they are...

armdnrdy

They were used in chorus modules in keyboards.

The Solina used them as well as the Crumar.

The late Jürgen Haible put together a stand alone project based on the Solina chorus circuit called the "Triple Chorus".

http://www.jhaible.com/triple_chorus/triple_chorus.html

Because the TCA350 ICs were difficult to obtain he reworked the circuit to use TDA1022 BBD ICs.

I don't know of any stompbox that uses the 350s. If you feel you need a challenge, you could build the triple chorus and retrofit the original BBDs.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

anotherjim

And there is a currently or recently made rack module triple ensemble chorus that does use the 350 (Elkorus?). A synth parts store (German?) selling the chip (tested) for 8 Euro.
I can't for life of me find any data on this chip. I do have one (350Y 8pin DIP) I've had for a ages - I'm not even sure if it works. I think It's one of 2 I bought to fix my old Logan String Melody. I'd hope it's the spare I didn't need!
Anyway, its data seems to have been expunged from the web - all I find are dead links.

The string synth ensemble chorus (3 BBD, 2 LF0) is a lovely effect, and I've never understood why it isn't a standard algorithm in every DSP multi-effect box. Nord have got it in their new A1 synth though.