Flexible distortion

Started by PBE6, July 20, 2014, 02:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PBE6

Just wanted to share a schematic for a flexible distortion I've been working on:

The first stage is a bass roll off to prevent excessive fizz in the distorted signal. The second stage is the gain stage, switchable between soft and hard clipping. The third stage is a bass boost, lifted straight from ROG's "Thor", to compensate for the pre-distortion bass loss. The fourth stage is a guitar tone knob-style treble roll off. The last stage is an amplifier that provides a little bit of makeup gain.

I should add that I'm not 100% sure about the impedance on the input stage, I might just use a quad opamp and add a buffer before the bass roll off.

Any comments welcome, I will hopefully get around to building it next weekend.

anchovie

That pre-cut control will cause problems - you'll need a cap between it and the 470k opamp bias resistor otherwise you've got a point referenced to both ground and half-supply. The low total resistance of the filter will bring the input impedance right down so you'll need that buffer like you suspected.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

slacker

You might be interested in this little snippet, it gives you a gain stage where a pot controls the gain but also pans between hard and soft clipping.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=72404.0

PBE6

Gus