Unwrapping the shielded wire. Tips?

Started by Focalized, July 20, 2014, 03:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Focalized

Some shield is simply twisted and is easy to handle.

Some has a shield that is fully woven and hard to unwrap. Picking at it with a toothpick helps but you'll break some strands more or less. I suppose I can solder a new bit of wire to the exposed shield. Any easy way I can't think of?

italianguy63

Best way I have seen is this:

Gives you room to work.  You just need some heatshrink so it all looks pretty.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Jdansti

I use a dental pick to separate one side and then work it to the opposite side and twist it. It's ok if a few strands break. Just make sure that when you tin it you don't have any stray strands sticking out.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Focalized

Nice thanks. The attached wire is a good idea as the tinned shield gets pretty thick and makes it hard to fit at mulitple point grounds.

duck_arse

I always unpick in two opposite places. then twist/solder into 2 pigtails, dispose of as shown ^.
don't make me draw another line.

greaser_au

Mark C has it right, this is the right way to do this.   

This range of products is used in the manufacturing world for this job (on teflon cables).

david

Focalized

Ah pretty nice that heat shrink connection.

armdnrdy

I add a ground pad on the board next to the input/output or other pad that I plan to shield.

I connect a single wire to the shield and shrink wrap the solder connection (much like Mark's image) but I orient the tag end of the wire the same way as the shielded wire conductor so that it goes directly into the ground pad.

As for the OPs original question:

I usually use a piece of component lead cutting. 
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

deadastronaut

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 20, 2014, 09:53:13 AM
I add a ground pad on the board next to the input/output or other pad that I plan to shield.

+1 yeah i do that.. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

davent

I use  Teflon/Kapton insulated where needed for inside boxes. I just expose the shield wrap a piece of stripped wire around the base ot the exposed shield, solder and snip off the excess shield. Heatshrink, just like Mike showed, i'd guess that that's Teflon shielded as well (Basic Audio pic?).

For guitar cable tease the the braided shield apart with a dental pick, never had success pulling the core wire out through a split in the braided shield.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

merlinb

Quote from: Focalized on July 20, 2014, 03:11:14 AM
Some has a shield that is fully woven and hard to unwrap.
TIP: Don't bother unwrapping the braid. Just use a pointed tool to make a hole in the side of the braid, then pull the inner wire out through the hole. See the bottom of this page:
http://theguitarweasel.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/v-behaviorurldefaultvmlo.html

Quackzed

+1 on Merlins method. don't remember where i first saw it, but thought 'AHA!!!' easy and neat!!!  ;)
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

anotherjim

Same as Merlin with me too.
The wire I always have to deal with has insulation on the inner conductor that can't stand local heating (polythene?)
I use lap screen  or foil+drain wire type if I can for internal work.
Jim

Jdansti

Lots of good suggestions!  I'm going to have to change the way I do shields!   :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...