Unidentified flying... Si transistor

Started by Luke51411, July 20, 2014, 07:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I pulled a bunch of these out of an old organ. I can't find any inf on them. The markings are 7348u1916.

njkmonty

UKToecutter

It might help if you tell us the make and model of the organ.
A lot of manufacturers used 'house' numbers that bear no relation to the actual part number.
However, if you can tell us what organ they are from one of the clever blokes on the forum may be able to help.

Cheers
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

Luke51411

duck_arse

it says here:
http://www.organforum.com/forums/showthread.php?20321-Baldwin-720C
QuoteBALDWIN C-720T: came out in 1976, I.C. divider tone generation, 32-note pedal board, 2 manuals, self-contained speakers

so, I'd say the "7348" part to be the date code. that just leaves the u1916. possibly micro electronics?

or a house number.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Luke51411

With the diode function on my multi meter I get readings when negative lead is hooked to only 1 leg that means it is a pnp correct? The readings are .3 and .74v.

Luke51411

Ok they are fets of some kind. How can I tell if they are JFETS or mosfets? What do I need to know to find out if they could be used in  a phaser? Other than matching? Is it just a certain Vgs range they need to fall in?

amptramp

The ceramic package with epoxy blob seal was commonly used by Fairchild for transistors and resistor-transistor logic (RTL) beginning in the 1960's.  If the device has three leads, it is a transistor.  If it has eight leads, it is a logic gate.  The level of integration for RTL was one JK flip flop or a dual two-input NAND gate per package.  RTL was supplanted by DTL then TTL and remains available only from places that specialize in obsolete electronics.  The use of this package for transistors has continued, especially for high-frequency devices.

Luke51411

They have 3 leads. As it so happens, I just bought an old book on RTL or was it TTL? I can't remember, I'll find out when it gets here. I also bought the CMOS logic cookbook. I have some unknown 16 pin ICs as well pulled from the same organ, they were even socketed! They were on the board near the keys and there were several of the same one,  I'm guessing those are CMOS chips of some kind? At any rate, I'm sure I can find something to do with these transistors  :icon_biggrin: