Wah wah distortion question (not the good kind)

Started by Luke51411, July 21, 2014, 08:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I've noticed in my modded gcb95 crybaby (removed input buffer and switchable parallel resistor on inductor, maybe others I don't remember) there is distortion on the low end when picked or strummed moderately hard in most positions other than toe down. I'm getting the same thing but maybe a bit worse in the maestro boomerang I've breadboarded http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/maestroboomerang2.gif I've tried several transistors bc107b, 2n3904, 2n5088, and 2n2222a and it's prevalent with a all of them. Is it a gain issue? Do I need lower gain transistors or is there something else I can adjust to temper the distortion? Note: I used a 4.7u cap where the schematic has 6uf.

drummer4gc

Luke51411

No I'll try that should I go bigger or smaller

drummer4gc

I wouldn't touch it. Sometimes people switch it out for a smaller value, which will drive the transistor harder, which can be perceived as some bassy distortion. If you haven't touched it and its all ready too distorted, leave it alone - the problem is elsewhere.

Luke51411

Oh ok. After your question I changed it to 220 then 470 which tamed the distortion to where there is almost none at 470

drummer4gc