Signal Through and Power but No Effect

Started by audiolife, July 22, 2014, 02:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiolife

I'm building an LPB1 and can get throughput and power but no effect. I checked the circuit board before I boxed it and it is good.

What could be wrong?

merlinb

With a description like that you're gonna need a clairvoyant...

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

vigilante397

If you checked it before you boxed it and it was working (that's what I understood "good" to mean) then you could have made any number of errors including, but not limited to, the following:

1) Switched the jacks around inside (happens to everyone sometimes)
2) Metal jack on metal enclosure, shorting out your power against the ground
3) Forgot to solder something (I forget to do the power jack sometimes and am surprised that the circuit doesn't work

Other than that, as previously mentioned, you need to do a little bit more digging. There's not much that can go wrong with an LPB1, so it shouldn't take long  to give us some more detailed information so we can help you :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

R.G.

Quote from: audiolife on July 22, 2014, 02:41:15 PM
I'm building an LPB1 and can get throughput and power but no effect. I checked the circuit board before I boxed it and it is good.
What could be wrong?
With 74 posts under your belt, I'm not going to be as aw-shucks polite. You've read enough posts here not to expect "whatever in the whole entire universe could POSSIBLY be wrong?" to turn out a useful reply. You've also read enough gentle reminders to read and follow the debugging thread that is sticky-ed to the top of the forum list so it has to be consciously ignored to miss.

If it worked before you put it into the box, something about what you did putting it in the box is keeping it from working. This could possibly be mental interference by the unknown and unknowable Aldebaran Elders; or it could be you broke a wire, or broke a component, or component lead, or pushed some components or wires together or have not fully insulated the board/wires/components from the case, or something about the battery/dc jack is not right, or you may have overstressed a solder joint that looked OK until you put pressure on it, - practically anything could be wrong. Mother Nature is very jealous about Her Rules. She will prevent circuits from working unless every last stinking one of Her Rules is followed correctly - 100%, no extra credit allowed for good intent or being a first time offender.

By the way, with the exception of the unknown and unknowable Aldebaran Elders, all of the items I listed are high-probability things that could be wrong. I'm pretty sure you didn't want me to start with the low probability ones.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.