Ross distortion polarity mystery

Started by Chris oej, July 23, 2014, 01:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris oej

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a Ross Distortion for a friend of mine. The pedal dies when connected to a daisy chain. Once dead it won't work at all, even if powered by a battery. However, if I connect the pedal to a positive ground power supply then back to the intended negative ground it works again.

Does anyone know why this is happening and if there's a way of modding the circuit to prevent this?

Thanks

Chris

Mark Hammer

The Ross will have used a mini phone jack for the external source, no?

Keep in mind that while Boss style 2.1mm power jacks are configured as outside pos and pin/tip negative, phone jacks are configured at tip-pos and shaft ground.

What I can't explain is the suppression and resumption of functioning.

zombiwoof

Are you using one of those adapter cables that fits the 1/8" pos tip jadk to the Boss type neg center barrel connector cable when daisy chaining?.  You have to do that for the Ross pedal to work with other pedals.

Al

Chris oej

It was originally daisy chained to a power supply using positive tip minijacks. I've taken off the 9v socket on the pedal and replaced it with a standard 2.1mm going direct into a regulated 9v power supply - same problem.

I was wondering if the diodes had blow so replaced them (1n4148s) with some 1n914s which i have lying around - completely dead. I replaced the SPDT footswitch and all the wiring - no help.

I'm thinking that it maybe the opamp (RC4558P). Doe you know what the voltages should be on each pin?

Could i replace the RC4558P with a JRC4558D?

I might also replace the diodes with fresh 1N4148s - basically i'd have replaced the every component except the resistors and capacitors.

Thanks

Mark Hammer

You can replace the original chip (assuming it actually uses a dual op-amp; the circuit only requires a single op-amp) with any other dual op-amp you want.  They pretty much all have the same pinout.

This pic - http://azear.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/fixit-rossdistortionpedal-3.jpg - shows an RC dual op-amp, with pins 1 and 8 oriented towards the inside of the board, rather than towards the outer edge.