Fried Tube Screamer with too many Volts, not get no sound but a hiss... help!

Started by Hav, July 25, 2014, 06:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hav

Hey

Built a TS808 from Tonepad,

put the wrong dang power supply in which shows PRI:230v-240v and SEC: 13.5v 500mA.

:-(

How do I diagnose this to find out what ive blown? True Bypass is working. Pedal gives nothing but a hiss when pedal on MAX everything.

None of the capacitors have blown up from the top... they all look in tact (electros only anyway)

Any help would be amazingggg!

tonepad TS: http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=1

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

diablochris6

This is where the digital multimeter can help you save the day! I would start by getting readings on any ICs and transistors first and go backwards from there. It also would help to make sure the parts in the power section aren't fried.

The audio probe could help you figure out where the signal ends.

Hav

ok a little closer listening and actually there is some very very small volume

and i unplugged and plugged it back in and i get half a second of sound (sounds like the volume is getting louder) then just cuts off again to the really really low volume. cant tell if its distorted.

working on IC readings and Q readings now.. will post in a sec

Hav

IC

wall: 9.29

8.58    9.29
8.18    8.32
6.18    8.32
0        8.32

q1

0.98     1.41      9.29
9.29     1.38      0.95

what does this say?

GibsonGM

Check the cap in your power supply!  The voltages on your inputs look REALLY high to me!  (not biasing right; you have nearly V+ on them).
It's a good bet that cap was rated <16 volts and is junk.    Right side of schematic shows it, the 47u cap between the two 10K resistors. 

Gotta find it on the PCB....I think Vref (Vb here) is the pink line coming from the 47u cap on the LAYOUT, in the .PDF...should be about 1/2 your battery voltage...so see what's up with that cap, and measure your Vb! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Hav

Yep after comparing the Vs from GGG, theirs show that it should be pretty much 1/2 as you said. Will try find this cap and replace. Kinda glad this happened, helping me debug and learn I suppose!

Hav

ok placing the 47u did nothing :-(

IC is still showing the same Vs

Should I look at those 10k resistors?

Hav

GibsonGM

5.87 is probably ok.  If you have that at all Vb points, and 9V at IC, then try audio probing.   Follow the signal path shown in blue on their "Layout" diagram.    There will be a spot where it dies, and you'll know you're close to the blown part!   Do that and let us know what you find...

BTW, are you SURE your power supply was DC and not AC?  The only parts in there I can think of that are sensitive to that level of DC voltage could be caps....unless you also got the supply hooked up BACKWARDS????   Then, I'd make SURE of my power supply, and put a new IC in.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Hav

Thanks for your help Mike,

It was a AC/DC 'converter' power supply..

Found the problem, was a blown IC :-(

Replaced with another 4558DD and its all good :-)

what do you mean supply hooked backward?

bluebunny

Quote from: Hav on July 26, 2014, 09:14:23 AM
Found the problem, was a blown IC :-(

Replaced with another 4558DD and its all good :-)

Interesting that the opamp was fried.  All the datasheets I have for 4558 variants show that it's good for at least 36V (+/-18V).

what do you mean supply hooked backward?

You should have +9V from the power supply going to +9V on the board.  And 0V goes to GND on the board.  If you swap them over, bad things happen: magic smoke comes out and silence ensues.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

R.G.

Was your power supply 13.5V **AC** or DC?

9V **AC** will kill pedals dead, even with reverse protection diodes.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

vigilante397

Replacing a 4558 isn't a huge loss if that was the only problem. I hooked up the power backwards on a reverb build and fried a Belton brick :-[ hands down the single costliest mistake I've ever made on a build.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

GibsonGM

Glad it was that simple!  Less than $1 to fix :)      Yes,  connecting the power supply backwards would mean + going to where - should go, on a DC supply, and that is called "REVERSING THE POLARITY".    And it will do the same as R.G. said regarding AC - it will fry things.      AC is composed of BOTH polarities, and that's why an AC supply will fry parts.   

Much of electronics requires the power to "come from one direction"!   Those parts are called "polarized".

I think we've all done the same thing, ha ha!
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

Quote from: vigilante397 on July 26, 2014, 12:56:09 PM
Replacing a 4558 isn't a huge loss if that was the only problem. I hooked up the power backwards on a reverb build and fried a Belton brick :-[ hands down the single costliest mistake I've ever made on a build.

oops!..nasty. :'(
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Hav

oh wow, yep puts mine in perspective! looks like i got off on an easy one!

Supply isn't hooked in backward, and I havent got the plug I used to fry it with to check if it was definitely DC or AC!

Thanks for the help guys! :-)

Haze13

Use protection diodes for this kind of situations. They are much cheaper than any semiconductor...

GibsonGM

Quote from: Haze13 on July 28, 2014, 02:19:41 AM
Use protection diodes for this kind of situations. They are much cheaper than any semiconductor...

+1  if they go fast enough, they're worthwhile.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: Haze13 on July 28, 2014, 02:19:41 AM

+2
Definitely learned my lesson the hard way on that one.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com