Show me your PCB printer

Started by Mac Walker, July 26, 2014, 09:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac Walker

peps1

There are a few company working on PCB printers, but a Australian company has already brought one to market after thire kickstarter took off.

http://www.cartesianco.com/the-argentum/  $1,599.00  :'(

skip to 2.20ish

Mac Walker

Missed that one, although it looks like it's not available yet - "ships November 2014".

Personally I think the "additive" technologies are a bit over-hyped, subtractive machines (i.e. milling copper clad) have been around for quite a few years, lol.

The machine I posted appears to also dispense conductive glue, and pick and place the components.....

Theoretically you could print resistors by varying the conductivity of the ink, the resistors could be built into the circuit trace...

And low value caps could be fabbed directly to the board if you could figure out a way to print a dialectric material with a high permittivity....

darron

I use a co2 laser to print the pcb resist, but then I still need to use old fashioned acid to etch it. I like this idea a lot more than using a mill!

And of course you can modify a regular inkjet printer to print a mask too rather than ironing on or doing uv chem exposures.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

wgc

Quote from: Mac Walker on July 26, 2014, 01:59:31 PM
Missed that one, although it looks like it's not available yet - "ships November 2014".

Personally I think the "additive" technologies are a bit over-hyped, subtractive machines (i.e. milling copper clad) have been around for quite a few years, lol.

The machine I posted appears to also dispense conductive glue, and pick and place the components.....

Theoretically you could print resistors by varying the conductivity of the ink, the resistors could be built into the circuit trace...

And low value caps could be fabbed directly to the board if you could figure out a way to print a dialectric material with a high permittivity....

Some pcb mfg are already doing something called embedded passives.

http://www.ipcoutlook.org/pdf/embedded_passive_technology_materials_ipc.pdf

I think this might be why there are a few pedals that are difficult to trace

R.G.

Quote from: wgc on July 27, 2014, 10:25:49 AM
Some pcb mfg are already doing something called embedded passives.
I think this might be why there are a few pedals that are difficult to trace
Neat.

I doubt any pedals use this - it looks pretty expensive at the moment. It's well inside the infancy end of the S curve. And there are other ways to make pedals hard to trace. Simply making them out of 3- or 4-layer PCBs with ground sheets on the outside layers would do that well enough, even setting aside Dirty Tricks 101 (see geofex).
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

I forgot to mention that printing resistors on insulating substrates was popular back in the late 50s and 60s. They printed resistors onto a copper/pattern substrate and glued/soldered ceramic caps onto it, then encapsulated the whole thing in the matte insulation used on disc ceramic caps today. They were called Packaged Electronic Components, (PECs) and were soldered onto simpler PCBs as entire components. Electronic organs from that time would use perhaps 100 of them to implement dividers for the notes.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

amptramp

This is what R. G. is talking about:

http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/info/centralabpec.pdf

Some battery portable tube radios used the pendet, a few line operated radios used the audet but almost all televisions used the vertical integrator plates.