3d Printed PCB mounting clips

Started by JohnForeman, July 26, 2014, 09:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnForeman

printed out a couple mounting clips to hold the PCB for my guitarpcb.com SWAH build.

design 1st

printed out and test fitting in the enclosure.  They will be glued to the enclosure with JB Weld.

Clipped onto the PCB for positioning

Just enough room to un-clip and remove if needed.

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

duck_arse

johns - I like sub panels. I don't know if you ever use them, or if there is room in those boxes, or if this idea is even any good, but.

if you put small notches in your uprights, right near the elbows, you could clip in a (sub) panel that would mount the pots so nuts are hidden, shafts are shortened, knobs are lowered. with pots and board mounted on the same assembly, in and out is a breeze, or at least breezeier.

carry on.
don't make me draw another line.

TG Flatline

Nice!!! I wonder if it would be possible to size them in such a way that when the PCB is inserted, the clips push out and the friction against the walls means no need to glue them in place? Just a thought! Either way though, lovely stuff! :)

Ice-9

Quote from: duck_arse on July 28, 2014, 10:50:22 AM
johns - I like sub panels. I don't know if you ever use them, or if there is room in those boxes, or if this idea is even any good, but.

if you put small notches in your uprights, right near the elbows, you could clip in a (sub) panel that would mount the pots so nuts are hidden, shafts are shortened, knobs are lowered. with pots and board mounted on the same assembly, in and out is a breeze, or at least breezeier.

carry on.

Good job on the brackets, nice idea.
@duck_arse.. Yes another good idea to extent the plastic to mount pots on so as to conceal the nuts etc. One question I have about that, how brittle is the plastic used in 3d printers as I think it might possibly break not having a secure nut mounting the pot/enclosure, with the pressure put on the knob either with heavy or big boots knocking the knobs ?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

JohnForeman

all great ideas.  I have considered doing something for the pots but was thinking more along the lines of holding the pots to keep them from turning while tightening the nuts.  I do like the idea of mounting them internal.  I'll have to work on that for my next build.
The plastic is ABS and is very tough.  as long as stress is considered during design the printed object is as strong as you can expect ABS to be. 
designing something that would not require glue is interesting also.  It could be done so that side pressure holds the pcb mount and when the bottom cover is installed it secures it even more.
thanks for the feedback

duck_arse

ice - yr sub-panels are usually metal, if mounting pots. you could use blank pcb material, and even etch connections, but then it would be a circuit board. because you've hidden the panel, it can be any old bit of scrap at hand, steel, Al, tin-plate etc. so the plastic wouldn't be extended, it would just support the pot panel, and only dainties w/ small slippers would be stomping.

duck_arse

more for johnF - I also like to anti-rotate anything I can get my hands on. to this end, with your dc jack spacer shown elsewhere, do you print that with a flat to match the barrel? you could elongate a half-thickness of the spacer up to the 6.5mm jack nearest, to lock/locate the spacer, maybe even anti-rot the jack if it was so inclined. I'm got unfinished builds littering the bench, one has this idea done in polystyrene.