Sea urchin popping...

Started by therealfindo, July 28, 2014, 07:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therealfindo

Hi everyone, using the summer break to get back to some unfinished projects!

a few months back I built a pedal for a mate which had a distortion + and a sea urchin delay in the same box. I hadn't noticed a pop when I gave it to him, but it is definitely popping now.
I searched around, and tried all the usual suggestions:

Drop-down resister on delay input
Drop-down resister on delay output
Replaced the output cap
Took the LED away
Replaced the whole switch

and still... pop. It even pops when there's no power (which I don't quite understand). The distortion switch is fine, it's just the delay. It doesn't repeat the the pop, so that means it's after the PT2399 chip, right?

So... any suggestions?
Thanks.

R.G.

Quote from: therealfindo on July 28, 2014, 07:07:59 AM
It even pops when there's no power (which I don't quite understand).
If it pops when there's no power, it's very possible that the energy for popping is not coming from the pedal at all. Some amps and some guitars in some odd situations provide DC out of their jacks. Use your meter and test the end of a guitar cord plugged into the amp and guitar. Or try it on other amps and guitars. If it's still popping, read and follow the debugging thread. It's likely that simply following the debug thread may lead you to a solution, but if not, post the information.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

therealfindo

Thanks.
Doesn't look like it's the amp... will see what I can find out.

Quackzed

;D only here can you post 'Sea Urchin Popping...' and people know exactly what you're talking about. ;D
carry on...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!