Devi Ever fuzz mod?

Started by diablochris6, July 28, 2014, 05:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

I recently put together a Devi Ever BIT: The Legend of Fuzz clone. The fuzz is actually two of her circuits; first is the Silver Crank, and the second stage is a GZ. I decided to split the circuits up so I can do some switching magic to choose one fuzz, the other, or both in series (this is the actual BIT pedal). I have both circuits hooked up to dual gang pots so the circuits' gain and volume work in unison. I get some pretty good sounds out of the pedal, but I have a problem with the GZ stage not letting the frequencies on my high E through. Here is the schem for the first stage, the Silver Crank and the GZ .

I built a vero version of the BIT and didn't have the same problem with the high frequencies. The difference from the single circuit vs. the setup I mentioned above is that, in the original pedal, the Silver Crank side's output goes from the .1u C2 straight into the C2/R2/Q2 section of the GZ, whereas, my setup has the Silver Crank output going to the GZ input like you were to just get a wire and connect the two schematics. The Silver Crank side has no problems, but the GZ is where all the high frequency loss is at. Looking at the schematic, would there be a possible way to allow more highs in the GZ section? I took voltage measurements of my transistors, and none of them differed from the original circuit, so I am not posting them. I am just looking for a mod to let highs through. Would I be looking at one of the first caps of the GZ?

Digital Larry

I would make C2 (0.1uF) across the 2.2 Meg resistor in the first transistor stage much smaller.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

diablochris6

Rummaging through the Devi Ever master file floating around the web,the pcb that is used to make the GZ (as well as several other of her pedals), have a few mods. Noise mode would get rid of that 2.2M resistor, chaos mode removed C2, and there was a bright mode that replaced C2's .1uF with a .01uF. Think that should be low enough to get some of those highs back?

Digital Larry

Well it will sure let "some" of the highs back in.  I don't know how to predict how much will be enough though.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

salih14

hi!
i tried the same, you have any solution found with the highs

and how you made the wiring and switches ?
i made it not with dual potis and get some issues