Transistor pinout determination confusion

Started by Luke51411, July 28, 2014, 07:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I have some unknown transistors and I've been reading up on how to determine pinout but I'm confused.im going by the instructions here http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/23305/how-do-i-know-if-which-leg-is-the-emitter-or-the-collector-transistor the first answer, And I've looked several other places and I'm still confused. I'll just number the pins. 3 seems to be the base and it is an npn. I have the positive lead on 3 in diode check mod on the dmm. I get a .728 fv with negative on either pin. I then connect negative to 1 and positive to pin 2 I short pin 3 and 2 with a 1m resistor on breadboard and whichever produces the lowest resistance is supposed to be the correct configuration. I swap positive and negative leads and place the resistor between 1 and 3. It's the same resistance. I've done it on several trannies with the same result. They are pulled so... Are they bad? Are these not BJTs I'm dealing with? Am I using an incorrect method?

Luke51411

Duh... Just looked at the board I pulled them off of. It conveniently has the pinout labeled. Dgs.... They are fets.

Tony Forestiere

Cool that the markings were on the PCB. No part number on the cans?
"Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again."  ;D
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

Luke51411

They are u1916 but I can't find anything about them

duck_arse

if you hang you ohm-meter across the D and S, either polarity, you can really simple test fets by putting yr finger on the gate pin. the channel resistance drops. dunno exactly what that indicates, probably polarity.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.