PCB Design help

Started by Crusty Crust, July 30, 2014, 08:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusty Crust

Hey everyone !

Looking for someone willing to design PCBs for me from vero layouts. It is something i really suck at, and don't have time for at the moment..
PM me or send me a message at contact@crustpedals.com if interested! Willing to trade stuff or even money or crepes ( I'm french, hey ! )

Thanks!

Hav

yes this would be good to know how to take a Veroboard layout to PCB

did some searches on the net but couldn't find any detailed guides for beginners on how to do this...

armdnrdy

I don't know so much about turning a vero board build into a PCB. I would imagine that you need to find someone to turn a schematic into a PCB.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

alanp

Agreed with armd, much better off going from schematic to PCB. Going from vero to PCB involves a certain amount of reverse-engineering a schematic, which is a bloody nuisance.

Crusty Crust

I know that schematic -> PCB is the way to go, but I always start from tweaking vero layout, I.E I don't know much about schematics..
I also don't think I'd be able to have the minimum real estate on the boards and nice knobs, input, outpus, etc.. agencement..
Anyone to help me ? :)

slacker

If you are just tweaking vero layouts you could you just find a PCB of the same circuit and use that.

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

armdnrdy

Quote from: Crusty Crust on July 31, 2014, 12:52:00 PM
I don't know much about schematics..

Reading schematics is actually very easy.....especially in stomp box designs.

A schematic is a "road map" from point A (input) to point B (output) of a circuit. There are some circuits that may have a "cul de sac" (side chain) or two, but most are pretty basic.

Learning electronics symbols is fairly basic as well. Resistors, capacitors, transistors, and ICs make up most of what you will encounter.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Mike Burgundy

This is a great help:
RG Keen's book:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=679

RG Keen? Yup, that guy, you've seen him around here.
Brilliant resource, tailored for guitar effects,  and for the rest, it's just putting in the hours of practice, practice. Start with small circuits and work your way up. Look at other designs and get a feel for *why* somebody chose to do it like that. Don't give up.
You will get it. Remember, some of the guys doing great layouts have like 10.000 hours + of design time under their belt, you don't get that on the first try. But with that book (I'm just saying - stamps! Get the book and you'll know what I'm taking about) you'll get great tips and a method that will help no end. There. Plug done.

I haven't been to the bearcave in a while - looks great Steve!

Crusty Crust

Thanks for your answers guys! I'll start learning, it's always better, for sure!
Nonetheless, I may need those PCBs before I get to design them myself, so if anyone still feel like he can help me ;)

Thanks!

teemuk

If you already have a working vero layout then I don't see what's the problem? That IS your printed circuit board design. It converts directly.

What's really the big difference between conventional PCB design and a vero layout like this? Merely the point of PC boards overall: Discrete wiring replaced by copper traces.

But why? The vero is an unneccessary step in between and while good for prototypes and quick test builds it also introduces layout and trace routing restrictions that become unneccessary when you design from scratch to conventional "blank" printed circuit boards. I don't see the point of introducing the vero board's "trace raster" that restricts the most optimal component placement and trace routing. You simply get a better result from designing the PCB straight from the circuit diagram than designing the PCB based on a vero board layout. Due to lesser amount of restrictions concerning layout making a good PCB design is easier too than making an equally good vero board design.

Fender3D

Quote from: teemuk on August 01, 2014, 06:26:14 AM
You simply get a better result from designing the PCB straight from the circuit diagram than designing the PCB based on a vero board layout.

Not when someone else did the vero layout...  :icon_rolleyes:
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

alparent

If your not in a rush. Send me a PM