Free cell chargers as an alternate power source?

Started by Mark Hammer, August 01, 2014, 10:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

A co-worker is more frequent beer-drinker than myself (my last beer was somewhere in the last century).  Apparently, Bud Light included those small flashlight-sized portable cell-charger units free in cases of beer.  Having a great many "spares", he brought one in for me.  I see that it provides 1500maH at 5V.  Strap on a charge pump, and you have yourself a decent 9V supply of clean DC (well, as clean as charge-pump power can get).  Charging and powering is via USB jacks, but the adaptor it comes with converts USB form factor to a barrel-style plug/jack.  The plug is narrower gauge than 2.1mm, but it means an adaptor to make that compatible with 2.1mm is relatively painless and inexpensive.  There IS the nuisance of keeping it/them charged, but they're rechargeable, which is nice and green.  Plus, they're nice and compact.  Heck, you could easily fit one into a 1590BB with a PT2399 circuit inside.

Just something to think about.

PRR

Comments about poor charge retention, the high price of beer, and "having to drink THAT beer....."

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bud-light-28-pack-free-powerbank-iphone5-iphone-microusb-1510939/

I think you can do better than these "free" batteries. Off-brand batt-packs are $10, and even if I still drank beer, I might pay $10 to NOT swill a case of Bud Lite.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Believe me, no endorsement of the beer or charger, on my part.  Just an idea that if you had them anyway, their use is not necessarily restricted to cellphones.

petemoore

Cellphones, blinky lights [bycicle light], clocks, computers and other electronic do-dads have lithium ion batteries that are usable !
  They're everywhere including the trash dump.
  The clock even has a nice 3v and dedicated charger in it.
  They can be tricky to 'lift', and tricky to charge, but I'm using a drill battery, a computer battery and have been known to use anything that has the capacity to store charge.
  Even 'regular' batteries have provided 9 more lives for me, rubbing, slamming and recharging have all shown good success at getting the other lives of batteries realized.
  One example compares the short use-life of 2 weeks to nearly 2 years, simply by heating them once or twice.
  Over 80 percent of my current from batteries comes from free, reheated, recharged and even repaired batteries. One good fall can break a 9v, I disassembled and then re-connected the batteries to their clip [via wires], and rewrapped the battery in tape...like new again [with ''accessory'' wire dangling between battery and clip.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.