Klon (sunking - madbean) has very loud output or very low buffer bypass

Started by Hav, August 01, 2014, 08:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hav

Hey

I had another post but started it under another topic so thought I'd have a dedicated one here.

Built the sunking from Madbean successfully (I think), have decent IC and transistor voltages.

The only problem I have is that the output is unbelievably loud or the buffered bypass is very low.

It's pretty much working well apart from the volume problems.

Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas which part of the circuit to look at to find the problem here? Using 100kb and 10kb pots as per instructions.

clipman3

Did you wire the bypass exactly as it's shown in the build doc? If you have both outputs connected to your out jack all the time(switching inputs), it can cause that kind of problem.

Hav

yes, its wired exactly the same

further testing shows that:

when the volume is around 1/2 to 3/4 turned, the bypass volume is then the same as the volume as going from guitar direct to amp....

so it seems the pedal is just too loud? what could this be?

thelonious

I keep my Klone at somewhere around 10:00 volume and 9:00 gain, and it still gives a boost. While I can't tell you if yours is operating properly, I can at least say: it's normal to have to keep the volume knob lower than your average overdrive.

Hav

oh really so low!? do you get any distortion out at that level though? Or more of a boost?

i was testing with gain on max and therefor volume at almost nothing!

thelonious

The way I run it with gain at 9:00, I would call it a dirty boost. It depends on how hot your guitar's pickups are.

Many people like Klones best at lower gain settings. They are often used to push an amp into overdrive and provide a mid boost that makes the guitar stand out in the mix. With that said, there are plenty of people that run them as distortion/overdrive, too! But I think they sound harsh that way.

With your gain at max, yes, you should expect it to be LOUD compared to the bypassed/buffered signal.