Thrft store project starters???

Started by Canucker, August 01, 2014, 08:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

Has anyone come up with some ideas for all of musical or other video game stuff thats flooding the thrift stores these days??
Are the Rockband mics worth doing anything with other then gutting and using the casing? I picked parts for a racing video  game out of the trash just cus i liked the shape of the base for the gas/break pedals...was gonna open it up gut it and just use that....then I found that there were two huge pots inside for the gas and break.....but the pedals aren't that convenient to push unless your sitting...and I don't know how much of the rotation of the pot it will really be using...but still....free...can't complain to much.   

Any other ideas for this stuff?

derevaun

There are a lot of circuit bending projects based on common thrift store fare. The Barbie Karaoke machine is a popular one. Most musical toys are digital with a low bit depth and sample rate. As such, they're great fun for noise and experimental sound projects.

The Rock Band mic isn't terrible as a podcasting mic. I couldn't find a way to disassemble the mic without breaking stuff. It's handy to have around for cases when a proper audio interface isn't possible.

Canucker

i kinda thought the mic would be hard to get into...but not bad casing if you can pull it off!

Processaurus

I've heard there is a PC driver on the internet that is a MIDI driver for the rock band drum kit, if you're interested in that sort of thing.  Doesn't actually require soldering, though.

A forumite, Top Top, made a fantastic pedal out of a saxophone toy, the Saxxy.  The toy had a mic and did some kind of pitch tracking and synthesis to funny saxophone sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP-GMNY_yMI