Vibe Hacking choices ?

Started by petemoore, August 02, 2014, 09:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

The main questions are about use of LM741 opamps for phase stages [will they contribute to 'popping'], and a 'fancy' LFO to make wobbly phase up/down sweeps.
It was cheaper to buy a vibe, but the price of inexpenisve ones is no longer so inexpensive, now I think building/hacking one up will be about 1/2 the cost of buying one.
I'm slightly stumped about getting the LFO/bulb [or led] driver to 'wobble right' and not click.
The plan so far is to use the phase stages of the EZ Vibe, and modulate sweep with an alternate LFO.
A pedal to control sweep 'and' sweep speed control, but also an LFO with wobble which doesn't cause pops or clicks.
Maybe I'd like LM741's to do the phase stages as in script 90 phaser, but not sure if the TL062 would be easier to keep pop free, I ask if it's just the LFO/driver section that makes phaser-click problems.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

drolo

From what I have experienced while tinkering with phasers and LFO's in general, pops can (usually but not always) be eliminated by cautiously separating the power lines and grounds between the LFO circuit and the audio section. With power lines connecting only at one point. Sometimes using a regulator on the LFO side and good filtering helps isolating the power lines furthermore.