Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Started by Freppo, August 03, 2014, 02:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freppo

Here's a new one from me. I hope you like it  :icon_evil:  :icon_biggrin:

More info, schematic and vero layout can be found at my blog.
www.parasitstudio.se

Cheers
/ Fredrik
Check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

electrosonic

Some nice sounds there - I like the way it is very quiet when you are not playing. I have that book  (Nicolas Collins - "The Art of Hardware Hacking" mentioned in your link)  - I really should look at it again.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

I don't know if I'd describe any of those sounds as..."nice", but they're interesting, in a niche-market sort of way.

Any added value in making the comparison voltage in the comparator stage variable?  As shown, it is fixed at V+/2.

nocentelli

I saw this over at the other place, and I went back to look at a few other comparator fuzz designs. I noticed the collins fuzz stage is very similar to anderton comparator fuzz, which in turn seems to be the basis for the ESR graphic fuzz which was traced eventually here and elsewhere: Not surprising, since they're all from the same era. But the ESR does the crazy resonant filtering with the feedback and the cap hanging of the + input: Maybe that could be added to this circuit for added lunacy?
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Freppo

Thanks for the comments :)

Quote from: electrosonic on August 03, 2014, 02:29:34 PM
I have that book  (Nicolas Collins - "The Art of Hardware Hacking" mentioned in your link)  - I really should look at it again.
Thanks! It's a cool book. Not much value for guitar stuff, but it's a great inspiration for other stuff.
I've been tinkering a bit with simple CMOS synth stuff lately and his book is full of fun ideas. :)

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 03, 2014, 04:02:27 PM
I don't know if I'd describe any of those sounds as..."nice", but they're interesting, in a niche-market sort of way.
That's true. I guess you either love it or hate it. But that niche-market is not to be underestimated. :)
Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 03, 2014, 04:02:27 PM
Any added value in making the comparison voltage in the comparator stage variable?  As shown, it is fixed at V+/2.
I tried that but it made no difference that I could hear.

Quote from: nocentelli on August 03, 2014, 04:18:44 PM
I saw this over at the other place, and I went back to look at a few other comparator fuzz designs. I noticed the collins fuzz stage is very similar to anderton comparator fuzz, which in turn seems to be the basis for the ESR graphic fuzz which was traced eventually here and elsewhere: Not surprising, since they're all from the same era. But the ESR does the crazy resonant filtering with the feedback and the cap hanging of the + input: Maybe that could be added to this circuit for added lunacy?
Yes, I figured that a comparator stage would be the easiest way to turn the guitarsignal into a squarewave.
I have been playing around with comparator fuzzes a while ago. I even did a fuzz with a comparator chip (LM311)
But that was just proof of concept really. The ESR sounds interesting! I will try it on the breadboard :)

cheers / Fredrik

monksanto

FUZZZZzzzz

SIMPLY AMAZING!!! not the type of effect you use in a singer songwriter duo, but more on one of Jonny Greenwoods pedalboards ;)
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

anotherjim

I love that kind of thing!

I had something similar with a LM567 for the pll - it has a narrower capture range so falls out of lock more often.
+ CV pedal input lets you rip it out of lock in case it gets complacent.

If you wanted it to be more musical (cough), add an envelope follower + VCA so it has the players dynamics.

But as it is, it's simple and effective. Very synth "oscillator hard sync" like.

Have you sold one to Trent Reznor yet?

Good work Freppo.

Freppo

Quote from: anotherjim on August 04, 2014, 11:29:15 AM
I had something similar with a LM567 for the pll - it has a narrower capture range so falls out of lock more often.
+ CV pedal input lets you rip it out of lock in case it gets complacent.

If you wanted it to be more musical (cough), add an envelope follower + VCA so it has the players dynamics.
Thanks!

Cool. That LM567 thing sounds interesting. Reminds me, I bought a few of those a while back..
Great idea with the envelope follower! There are so much you could do with this circuit...
I had to stop myself and say "ok, done."...or else I could have gone on experimenting forever.
For a while I had a CD4040 and a CD4093 on the breadboard aswell... :icon_smile:  :icon_rolleyes:
But I like to keep it simple and there was enough wacky sounds coming out of the CD4046 alone.

Anyways, I'm happy that so many are commenting and digging it. :)

Cheers
/ Fredrik

kaycee

That sounds mental! Really mangles the signal doesn't it ;D

anchovie

This is awesome and shall be built!

(nice blog, btw - I'm always flattered when someone makes a Noise Ensemble  :icon_redface:)
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

anotherjim

Sorry, bad memory.
It was LM565 suggested - not 567.
My experimental guitar synth was a side step from R.Penfold's "Metal Pedal".
LM565 is long obsolete  ::)
It's control range only 10:1.
567 is 20:1, but it isn't so clear how to use it as a general PLL oscillator as some of it's functions are buried in the chip.

Freppo

Quote from: anotherjim on August 06, 2014, 01:42:43 PM
Sorry, bad memory.
It was LM565 suggested - not 567.
My experimental guitar synth was a side step from R.Penfold's "Metal Pedal".
LM565 is long obsolete  ::)
It's control range only 10:1.
567 is 20:1, but it isn't so clear how to use it as a general PLL oscillator as some of it's functions are buried in the chip.

Ok, cool! I actually have a few LM565 laying around aswell.
I built the "Metal Pedal" a while ago. There's a vero layout in my blog.
But since it's obsolete I think I'll refrain from experimenting with it.  :icon_razz:
I've been thinking about building the Anderton Ringmod that uses that chip.

But for now i'm experimenting with a comparator into a NAND gate oscillator.
Sounds cool so far.. very synthy, but not as insane as the CD4046 fuzz.
I'll probably have something finished soon to share. :)

Cheers
/ Fredrik

Freppo

Quote from: anchovie on August 06, 2014, 05:14:50 AM
This is awesome and shall be built!

(nice blog, btw - I'm always flattered when someone makes a Noise Ensemble  :icon_redface:)

Thanks! I glad you like it.
I love the noise ensemble, so much chaos from so few parts. :)

Cheers / Fredrik

Moonsun

Eternal lurker but not this time.
Here's the small PCB I made, its not perfect, so am I. But it is verified, finished my board today.
Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz.pdf
Thanks Freppo for this joyful circuit  :)

Freppo

Quote from: Moonsun on August 23, 2014, 10:41:57 AM
Eternal lurker but not this time.
Here's the small PCB I made, its not perfect, so am I. But it is verified, finished my board today.
Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz.pdf
Thanks Freppo for this joyful circuit  :)
Wow, great work with that PCB layout. Thanks for sharing! :)
Would it be ok for me to put up your layout on my blog?
/ Freppo

Freppo

Added! :)

Your contribution inspired me to add a few other PCB's aswell.
Check out my new section "Original designs"

Cheers
/ Freppo

stonerbox

There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

bluesdevil

Two months later I'm finally getting around to building this along with your "Stutter" circuit! Waiting on a couple of chips in the mail and then I'll be having the neighbors calling the cops!

Just a heads up: I noticed on the pcb artwork there needs to be a cut between the 1n4001 diode leads.

Thanks again for sharing this project and the others too.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy