I am officially done, and it feels amazing.

Started by vigilante397, August 03, 2014, 11:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vigilante397

I know there are general threads for pictures and even specific ones for whole boards, but I wanted to put this out so everyone knows how satisfied I am with myself. After approximately 9 months of building (is that all? feels like it's been years....) my personal gigging board is done. It consists of, starting from the right and following signal chain:

1) Dunlop Crybaby GCB95 (if my hands start itching I may mod this a bit, but it suits my needs pretty well stock)
2) Korg Pitch Black tuner (obviously stock)
3) ProCo RAT (vero build) modded for 3-way diode switching, but I keep it on germanium (1N34's, I think) 99% of the time
4) ZVex Fuzz Factory (vero build), followed the schematic exactly and haven't seen a need to mod it
5) Mad Bean Sunking (etched PCB), buffered version (can I get arrested for that artwork? :-\ )
5) A/B/Y loop switch aka "Circuit Box with Burst Switch" (that's the one with no knobs :P )
6) Lotus Snowjob Underdrive (vero build), changed the input/output caps but otherwise stock
7) Tonepad Rebote 2.5 (etched PCB), with switchable infinity mod
8 ) Box of Hall Reverb (vero build), pretty much stock
9) TC Ditto Looper (obviously stock)

I'm remarkably satisfied with myself and I want everyone to know it :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

jimilee

Looks great too!! Done??? What does that ever mean? My gigging board changed weekly, but always stayed the same.

vigilante397

Quote from: jimilee on August 03, 2014, 11:55:13 PM
Looks great too!! Done??? What does that ever mean? My gigging board changed weekly, but always stayed the same.

I had a period where I was constantly changing things, but the more gigs I play the more I realize that this is realistically all I need for what I play.

Granted I'm still working on the pedals for my keyboard rig ... :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

haveyouseenhim

I think Dr. Drew would disagree, once an addict always an addict.

It's a disease you see. Sooner or later you will go back to the needle, filled with flux....
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

vigilante397

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on August 04, 2014, 12:32:30 AM
It's a disease you see. Sooner or later you will go back to the needle, filled with flux....

And I agree that I'm an addict and I'm not done building, I'm just at a point where I'm comfortable with what I have on my board so I don't need to build for myself 8)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Buzz

The cassette graphic looks great.

I use a Korg pitchblack tuner too. Nearly blew the battery up last week. I plugged it into a daisy chain without taking the battery out. Next time I used it on battery it malfunctioned. Took the battery out to check the voltage and it was really swollen. So I tested for voltage at the ( empty ) battery snap with the pedal plugged into the power supply. It was the best part of 9v.

It was bargain priced and I love its easy to read big LED display. It really needs a switched DC jack.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

diydave

I hear ya  :D
I've been using the same fx (all build by 'moi') for the last few years (Mosfet Fuzz, OCD, Boost, Rebote Delay, Chorus) and put them all in a Cornish style off box because that's the tone I'm after.
Even the amps I'm using are all hand made. So in a way (apart from making my own guitar) I'm done too.
But that didn't stop me from building: green ringer, big muff, big daddy, easy face, chorusses, easy vibe, pre-amps, more tube-amps,...  ;D
So many builds, so little time.

Congrats with the board!!  :D

vigilante397

Quote from: diydave on August 04, 2014, 03:13:30 AM
So in a way (apart from making my own guitar) I'm done too.

I'm trying to decide if my next step will be building a guitar or building an amp. My amp is hand built, just not by me, and I haven't found anything better short of a couple thousand dollars. My guitar on the other hand, was purchased brand new for $250, and while it's the nicest guitar I've ever owned (kind of sad now that I think about it) I would really like something nicer.

Not sure how to talk the wife into letting me do that one, especially since I just bought a drumset :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

wavley

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 04, 2014, 11:31:46 AM
Quote from: diydave on August 04, 2014, 03:13:30 AM
So in a way (apart from making my own guitar) I'm done too.

I'm trying to decide if my next step will be building a guitar or building an amp. My amp is hand built, just not by me, and I haven't found anything better short of a couple thousand dollars. My guitar on the other hand, was purchased brand new for $250, and while it's the nicest guitar I've ever owned (kind of sad now that I think about it) I would really like something nicer.

Not sure how to talk the wife into letting me do that one, especially since I just bought a drumset :icon_mrgreen:

I was just going through this with amps, I had some really nice amps (3 various Traynors, 69 Vibrolux that I turned into a 62, Oliver) but I really wanted a brilliant amp.  So I was going to build a Hiwatt clone and my wife was behind that (if I sold some stuff to pay for it), but then I found a Cornford Carrera at a pawn shop for cheaper than I could buy the parts to make a Hiwatt and VERY surprisingly she let me buy it.  A couple of tweaks later to personalize it and I have the most versatile touch sensitive amp I've ever owned.  I've also done some more tweaks to the Vibrolux and while it's pretty ugly, it sounds really great paired with the Cornford.

One of these days I'm still going to build a Hiwatt.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

stallik

Congratulations Nathan on completing your ideal board!
I too reached that goal a few months back, the sound in my head from my school days was now encapsulated on my board.... But I've got 2 amps so I plugged them both in... ;D  wow! It's better.. Now if I just modulate the signal to one amp  :o yikes! Now if I just build a couple of extra boxes for one amp... And the journey continues :icon_rolleyes:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

vigilante397

Quote from: wavley on August 04, 2014, 11:49:00 AM
...but then I found a Cornford Carrera at a pawn shop for cheaper than I could buy the parts to make a Hiwatt and VERY surprisingly she let me buy it.

Your wife seems to be a bit more reasonable than mine :P Pretty much the only way I get away with new gear is by building, selling, and trading. The only reason I got the lovely amp I have now is because I paid for half of it with pedals, and the drumset I just picked up was a straight trade for pedals. Some day I'll figure it out :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe I should write a persuasive essay for every piece of gear I want outlining how it's good for our marriage ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

deadastronaut

next week:

nathan: '' ive been thinking about building a ...... for my live board...and a .... ... ......... for home use, and maybe a .......  .. .... just for kicks''

;D ;)

re: women:  just buy it...too late. done.. :icon_twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

wavley

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 04, 2014, 12:41:26 PM
Quote from: wavley on August 04, 2014, 11:49:00 AM
...but then I found a Cornford Carrera at a pawn shop for cheaper than I could buy the parts to make a Hiwatt and VERY surprisingly she let me buy it.

Your wife seems to be a bit more reasonable than mine :P Pretty much the only way I get away with new gear is by building, selling, and trading. The only reason I got the lovely amp I have now is because I paid for half of it with pedals, and the drumset I just picked up was a straight trade for pedals. Some day I'll figure it out :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe I should write a persuasive essay for every piece of gear I want outlining how it's good for our marriage ;D

Trading goods and services and the odd birthday money are the only way I ever get gear too.  That's why I was soooo surprised when she let me buy it, so there's hope!

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 04, 2014, 12:46:27 PM
re: women:  just buy it...too late. done.. :icon_twisted:

It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

deadastronaut

Quote from: wavley on August 04, 2014, 12:51:59 PM

It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

indeed, a knack for pretending to be remorseful whilst excited  and generally being a lying sod helps.. ;D

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

vigilante397

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 04, 2014, 01:34:12 PM
...being a lying sod helps.. ;D

Kind of embarrassed to admit that a lot of my gear purchases were covered up by my expert lying :icon_redface:
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

deadastronaut

bluebunny

I always truncate, heavily discount, then round down:

"How much did that cost?"

"Umm...  <quick mental calculation>  Two hundred?"
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Buzz

My greatest fear is that, when I die, my Mrs. will sell all of my gear.

For what I told her it cost.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

bluebunny

I'm planning on leaving my stuff to my gear-head mates - not Mrs B's eBay account.  :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

Quote from: Buzz on August 05, 2014, 03:22:20 AM
My greatest fear is that, when I die, my Mrs. will sell all of my gear.

For what I told her it cost.

hmmmm i never thought of that... :-\