Klone woes!! Help me please!!

Started by nate77, August 05, 2014, 06:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nate77

I have recently built a Klone from a pcb from aion electronics. This is about the 5 th or 6th one from him I've built and this is the only problem I've had (making it unquivicobly my fault). It worked great right out of the gate, then I was headed to a gig a couple days ago and tested it out (as I've had a couple surprises in the past when at a gig and a previously functioning pedal no longer worked right) and BAM, it sucked! It produces a farty kind of sound both bypassed (buffered, not TB) and engaged. I changed ic 2 as when I was working through it with an audio probe I could only get signal on pins 1 and 6. Then, low and behold it worked again. Then I went to use it am hour later and same old farty sound. So here's a link to the schematic etc. http://aionelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/aion-refractor-centaur-documentation.pdf
My ic readings are as follows;
IC1
1) 4.35
2) 4.35
3) 1.17
4) 0
5) 8.67
6) 4.38
7) 4.35
8) 4.24

IC3
1) 8.65
2) 4.40
3) 0
4) -4.05
5) 8.64
6) 4.08
7) 3.61
8) -8.24

IC2
1) 4.38
2) 4.34
3) 4.28
4) -8.25
5) 15.53
6) 4.29
7) 4.34
8) 4.28

Battery + 8.65
Battery - 0

Note that it goes from ic1, to ic3 to ic2. I listed values in the wrong order but did not want to rewrite all the values. Ic1 and 2 are tl072 and ic3 is a voltage doubling tc1044spca. Thanks in advance for any help guys.

jimilee

Check the stomp soldering? Also make sure you don't have any loose / broken resistors. I've run into this before.

PRR

> It worked great
> BAM, it sucked!
> low and behold it worked again.
> am hour later and same old farty

Has to be a bad connection. Works when it wants to.

Bright light, magnifier, LOOK.
  • SUPPORTER

nate77

I get that's most likely the issue, I'm curious if all things look right with my voltage readings. I cannot recreate the issue my moving the board around, the wires around or anything else. You'll notice from my post count that I haven't been around here for too long and was curious if there were any obvious areas to look in or if anything was jumping out at anyone from voltage readings. But yep, I'll look.

Govmnt_Lacky

One thing that stands out is that I believe you numbered your pins wrong.

8.67V on Pin 5 of IC1  :o

Are you sure that is not Pin 8? Might want to look up the datasheet for ALL of your ICs and repost/modify to reflect the proper pins.  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

nate77

Sorry about that. I was assigning pin numbers top to bottom, left to right. So pins 1-4 on each ic are accurate but pins 4-8 need to be read in reverse order (example: pin 5 is actually pin 8, pin 6 is actually pin 7, pin 7 is actually pin 6 and pin 8 is actually pin 5). Sorry guys.

slacker

Your voltages look good to me, like Paul said most likely a dodgy connection somewhere. If you can, take voltages when it's making farty sounds and see if any of them are significantly different, that might help narrow it down.

nate77

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can recreate the issue. It seems to only do it when I'm looking to play out with it. I appreciate the advice

PRR

> It seems to only do it when I'm looking to play out with it.

Murphy's Law.

If anything can go wrong, it will.

Playing-in, a failure is a minor annoyance. Murphy overlooks this.

Playing-Out, a failure is WRONG. Murphy is in full play.

Interesting Wikipedia on The Law.

"Nevil Maskelyne wrote in 1908:
"It is an experience common to all men to find that, on any special occasion, such as the production of a magical effect for the first time in public, everything that can go wrong will go wrong. Whether we must attribute this to the malignity of matter or to the total depravity of inanimate things, whether the exciting cause is hurry, worry, or what not, the fact remains."
100+ years later we still do not know if it is malignancy or depravity.

Apparently Edward Murphy blamed his *assistant*, not the depravity of things. This works for me. Even when working alone, when stuff goes wrong, I blame the assistant.
  • SUPPORTER

sdlogan9

Quackzed

...i need to get an assistant...  >:(
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

nate77

That is an undeniable statement and reference. Murphy's law is ever present. I don't have any pics yet but as soon as I pull this thing out of the box I'll snap some if I can't find the issue. Of course, I only boxed it because it worked! Thanks guys.