panning for the seasick prone: 6 phases (some waiting)

Started by duck_arse, August 06, 2014, 11:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

it seems there are some who thing 180* out of phase signals are not the best for modulating stereo panners. too soft is their problem. the 90* shifting has been nagging me for a while, and now for some reason I've gone and done it. my standard disclaimer: it may well "be done" in a million other places.

due to the parts I have on hand, the oscillator is a single schmitt gate IC2A. its output is inverted by IC2D for bar-clock, 180* out of phase. IC1A and B are halves of a 4520 binary counter, set for counting out(?) and clocked via the CLK inputs. the clk divided by 2 appears at Q0A, and divided by 4 at Q1A, at "0*" and inverted at "180*", all properly square. the clk/2 also clocks IC1B, and is there divided again by 2 and 4, which are switch selected by SW1B, then inverted by IC2C, producing the extra phase signals.

because the schmitt osc produces a 55% duty-cycle output, I thought my first attempt at this was not working right (clocking A on rising and B on falling edges), the extra phases were not aligned where I thort they'd be. so I took the 50% clk/2 to clock the second stage, and all was well. except, the first version did work, and with a dpdt added, we get the 0, 90, 180, 270 degree sigs, and also a signal ~18* off the 90/270, plus or minus. I think. then the second trace of my cro died.

I did have something like integrators hanging off the outputs (which would have a spdt selector switch for 0/180 and for 90/270), but I know naught about them, so haven't shown them. I had 330k//470nF and 741 or lf351 producing some nice triangles, but it looks as though the integrating caps would need to be switched along with the osc cap for usable range and depth.

the 4520 could be subbed with 4518 but would need some reset wiring. the 74HC393 should also work, at a lower voltage (the HC390 same as 4518). the 4093 can be any schmitt gates/inverters, but a quad leaves nothing over. R2 and R3 are included for completeness. this the first eagle v7 I've done; the library zero ref counter-output numbering doesn't agree w/ my databooks one referencing, so I got a bit confused. I can't find the degree key, don't want to superscript everytime. and no sign of mickey mouse.

if anyone knows how to do the integrators good or correct, please, do tell. corrections, questions, etc.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.