Timmy pedal quick question

Started by njkmonty, August 08, 2014, 01:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njkmonty

silly question re timmy pedal,
im aware that they have some dip switches internal for clipping diode settings, but was curious about the toggle switch
is that for treble caps selection or has the dip switches been removed and now replaced with toggle switch. schematics and layouts floating around have not clarified this for me

nocentelli

The original DIPs put a single diode in parallel with the "always connected" double series pair, and one diode has a lower forward voltage than two in series so "overrides" the double pair going in the same direction and clips "earlier", or with a softer strum - i.e. less signal strength is needed for the single diode to clip so it sounds more distorted or compressed: Both diodes in parallel effectively replaces the double pair with a single pair for the "compressed" sound.

IvIark has a nice vero layout, but also has a wiring diagram for either two DPDTs (like the original but with external switches) or a single DPDT like the "V2".

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/paul-cochrane-timmy.html

I don't see an point in the two switch method since both assymetrical settings sound identical, so the second switch is superfluous to my mind.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again