NOS transistors?

Started by nognow, August 09, 2014, 06:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nognow

are NOS transistors worth the money?
does a vintage BC108 sound different than a new one?

Thanks!

GibsonGM

I'd have a very hard time believing there is any difference, nognow.   Just my 2 cents!

Now, germanium transistors have different characteristics than silicon, which is why ppl want them for fuzzes...but their age is irrelevant, just that they aren't made anymore.  If they were, and were made to the old specs, there would be no difference between old and new.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

nognow

you saved me sh*tloads of money ;D
Thnx!

GibsonGM

Anytime.    There is a lot of "cork sniffing and tube rolling" out there, ha ha.  Some ppl put a vol. pot in a box, call it a Hot Rod Deluxe "attenuator", and charge you $30 for it!  ;)

SOME stuff IS good when you get it NOS.  Many like vacuum tubes from the 50s and 60s...and old germanium transistors.    Honestly tho, I think with silicon transistors...they are better NOW than then!  Due to manufacturing improvements....more stable/consistent....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

LucifersTrip

I have found that the biggest difference with vintage silicon of the same model # is that the hfe's are lower and hfe's are spread in a wider range within the
given specs.  So yeah, for the reason of being lower hfe, they may sound different in a circuit that is hfe sensitive.

always think outside the box

GibsonGM

Sure, that makes sense.

OTOH, today we can find a different transistor with a lower hfe and just sub it in, if a circuit called for a specific hfe, tho.   I don't see any value in chasing down NOS Si's and paying more for them....do you?  < real question, not a snark
  • SUPPORTER

LucifersTrip

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 10, 2014, 08:14:04 AM
Sure, that makes sense.

OTOH, today we can find a different transistor with a lower hfe and just sub it in, if a circuit called for a specific hfe, tho.   I don't see any value in chasing down NOS Si's and paying more for them....do you?  < real question, not a snark

exactly, only if you're doing it to sell (boutique) and want to state that you used the original model #...the hfe is way more significant than model number
always think outside the box

GibsonGM

LOL, my take exactly.    Some things are worth hunting down, but others....nah....
  • SUPPORTER