My Germanium FY-2 Shin Ei Diagram - is it correct?

Started by Snufkinoob, August 09, 2014, 04:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snufkinoob

This is my first try at making a simple diagram from a schematic I've found online, and it's for a Germanium FY-2, but like everything else, I'm not 100% about it.

Can anyone spot any glaring errors? The points I'm most unsure about are the Fuzz pot connection order, and the 2nf-ground-out/vol in the top right.

And my java script security setting doesn't like the diagram creator software for some reason, so MS paint will have to do!

Ta.  :)

Kipper4

As far as I can make out you don't need the big blue jumper on the right of the layout (from your redrawn schematic ) I'm not familiar with the circuit.
It looks like fuzz pot lug1 is not connected either.
Otherwise should be ok. If I've read it right.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Snufkinoob

Thanks. I wasn't sure if Fuzz-1 went to ground, or if it was connected at all. Probably the latter.

I see what you mean, the VOL 3 connection already being grounded.

Buzz

Ditch the blue jumper on the right ( as stated ) Ground the remaining kug of the fuzz pot. Should work either way, but it's good practice to ground it.

I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

LucifersTrip

lugs 1 & 2 of the fuzz pot are connected...lug 3 is open. increase resistance to make it more buzzy, then it can possibly start gating close to 50K.
if you don't want the gating, cut the 50K down with parallel resistor to hit where you think is max fuzz.

I think if you ground lug 3 the sound will totally change. it's a feedback resistor like a fuzz face, but variable.
always think outside the box

Snufkinoob

Where is the best place to put a bias trim-pot/s?

Between 22k, 2nf and the Collector of Q2? (Total stab in the dark)

LucifersTrip

always think outside the box

petemoore

Not a bad idea to tie it off at 50k there, that way if the wiper loses 'grip' on the wafer and goes open, the default is 50k there.
Otherwise N/C is fine.
Grounding the pot allows 1k minimum to ground on the base, will throw bias off and shunt most of the signal to ground with the pot turned to ground.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Snufkinoob

With trimmer.... Would this work? Or should it go after the 5k? Or is it totally wrong, and each of the trimmer's legs should be on different points? I'd probably go for this type: http://www.musikding.de/Precision-Trimmer-YA