3PDT Long-Bushing Stomper

Started by smallbearelec, August 12, 2014, 09:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

Another case of "If Ya Don't Ask, Ya Don't Get". I never asked Alpha to make this because I figured that they'd have to make new $$$ tooling. It turns out not, so here is a new convenience for Wah and Swell pedals.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1638

Regards
SD

joegagan

i tested 3 of these and found them to be very high quality.

not sure what others told steve about wah pedals and ' normal ' 3PDTs, but the reason they are not good in wah is not a height issue ( they can be adjusted high enough that the stock felt switch pusher under the treadle needs no modding); there are two reasons they fall short in wah:

1. the slight arc of the travel of the treadle places an ever- so - slight side load on the tunnel as the switch plunges. while old carlings and the like seem to not have a problem with the side load, the blue 3pdts don't handle it well.

2. related to # 1, and possibly also just due to the design of the latching mechanism means that the switch needs a really solid kick to click fully to other position. most people prefer a ' hard switching' adjustment in wah so that the wah is not easily switched off during use, but the 3pdt gets stuck in mid-throw under this type of adjustment. then something weird happens. it seems that when you get a 3pdt stuck like this even one time, it gets used to this and never clicks as definitively again. the new longer bushing alphas do not suffer this problem, nor the side loading issue in my testing.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.