Humbling debugging experience

Started by vigilante397, August 13, 2014, 02:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vigilante397

So I was building a Rebote 2.5 this evening (please don't ask me how may I've built, but I promise it's not a small number), and I had a bit of troubles. The first try with it the dry signal sounded muffled and distorted, so I switched out the opamp, problem solved. After that, however, I could get any delay at all. I tried every PT2399 I have, none of them gave me anything. I went through it with an audio probe and still wasn't able to deduce anything.

After an hour and a half or so I handed to my wife and (mostly) jokingly asked her what she thought the problem was. She took one look at it and said "This trace looks like it's broken." sure enough, one of the traces to the Delay pot didn't come out too well on the etch (I still don't pretend to be good at etching). I soldered over it and it fired right up.

Moral of the story: marry someone smarter than you 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

deadastronaut

ha ha , it's always good to have a different set of eyes on it...

mrs astro can tell by my attitude if my project isn't going well...i get the '' what's not working? ''

and then the '' maybe your trying to cram in too much and being greedy!!!'''  :D

i pay her back by holding 2 wires with absolutely nothing connected to them and ask her to hold them...

without fail i get the '' no way , i don't want to be electrocuted'' ...everytime . ;D...ahhhhhh  the fun to be had eh.. :icon_twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 13, 2014, 03:25:51 AM
...ahhhhhh  the fun to be had eh.. :icon_twisted:

You're a very naughty boy, Rob!

(I approve, btw...)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

yes i am naughty...but its always funny....try it.. ;D :icon_twisted:

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Hemmel

i pay her back by holding 2 wires with absolutely nothing connected to them and ask her to hold them...

My brother was impatiently waiting right next to me while I was looking at one of his "not-really-working-properly" pedals. He was really bothering me, asking too many questions and telling me it was taking longer than he expected.
At one point I handed him a bowl of water, warning him to be extra careful since it was "etching acid", and asked him to go put it back on a shelf.

When he slowly turned away, I got behind him, pinched him and yelled "BOO"... making him jump and spill the water... he totally freaked out. Never seen him so pale.
Bââââ.

vigilante397

Sadistically brilliant :icon_twisted:

Quote from: Hemmel on August 13, 2014, 09:27:48 AM
At one point I handed him a bowl of water, warning him to be extra careful since it was "etching acid", and asked him to go put it back on a shelf.

When he slowly turned away, I got behind him, pinched him and yelled "BOO"... making him jump and spill the water... he totally freaked out. Never seen him so pale.

Also :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Jdansti

I used to take a cold unplugged soldering iron and press it on my wife's arm. Notice I said "used to".  :o
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

bluebunny

Quote from: Jdansti on August 13, 2014, 09:58:47 PM
I used to take a cold unplugged soldering iron and press it on my wife's arm. Notice I said "used to".  :o

Remind me.  Your wife is the one with the GUNS?
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

good to see the devious and nasty side of members...  ;D:icon_cool:

@marc L ,  i may have to do that with pretend ferric (cold coffee) lol.....i await my victim.. :icon_twisted:

@john: i'm surprised your still with us.. ;D

Morocotopo

You guys never heard of John Wayne Bobbit, right?

:icon_eek:

;D
Morocotopo

petey twofinger

my ole lady soldered a bad trace on her cell phone and repaired it , many years ago . she didnt say anything to me till it was wrapped up too .

that was about the time i started cooking , doing laundry , and sticking to 12 parts or less layouts , leaving the larger projects to the expert .

i kid ... she really does an amazing job , i wouldnt have been able to pull of a fraction of what i have with out my family , and  i am extremely proud and thankful for them .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Jdansti

Quote from: bluebunny on August 14, 2014, 02:54:49 AM
Quote from: Jdansti on August 13, 2014, 09:58:47 PM

Remind me.  Your wife is the one with the GUNS?

Yep. She doesn't get mad. She gets even!

Once before going to bed, I rigged the circuit from a musical greeting card that played the theme to Star Wars to the toilet lid so that when she opened the lid in the middle of the night, it would play.  She did, it played, and it startled her.   The next morning, while I was still asleep, she poured a glass of ice water onto my face, and then a few minutes later while I was in the shower, she opened the shower door and doused me with another gallon of ice cold water.  I was just trying to entertain her.  ;)
  • SUPPORTER

armdnrdy

Sounds like either true love or.....the makings of a circus act!  ;D

What do you do for your wedding anniversary......have a pie fight??  :icon_lol:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Jdansti

After almost 29 years, it must be true love.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

armdnrdy

True love and keeping each other entertained and on their toes!

Theme to Star Wars triggered by the toilet seat? John...you rascal you!  :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

vigilante397

Quote from: armdnrdy on August 14, 2014, 09:33:19 PM
Theme to Star Wars triggered by the toilet seat? John...you rascal you!  :icon_wink:

Is this a Star Wars story I haven't heard????
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 15, 2014, 01:30:01 AM
Quote from: armdnrdy on August 14, 2014, 09:33:19 PM

Is this a Star Wars story I haven't heard????

its was the pre - pre - pre -prequel .... lucas steals all his ideas from john and his wife, and in return gives john a star wars card to play with.. ;D

Hemmel

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 15, 2014, 04:15:44 AM
its was the pre - pre - pre -prequel ....

I thought it was the pee-quel...
Bââââ.

bluebunny

Quote from: Hemmel on August 15, 2014, 09:02:12 AM
Quote from: deadastronaut on August 15, 2014, 04:15:44 AM
its was the pre - pre - pre -prequel ....

I thought it was the pee-quel...

LOL!   ;D   You're on fire, Marc!
  • SUPPORTER