Diode Selector Switch Help

Started by rthryhorysak, August 15, 2014, 02:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rthryhorysak

I want to add a 3 position diode selector switch for germanium, silicon and no diode. However I don't know if I should use a dpdt or 3pdt toggle switch. Also, I don't understand the wiring that would hook everything up so if someone could clarify or show a diagram that would very helpful.

Elijah-Baley

I'm searching something like that, too. I need it on dod250.
I think you need a dpdt toggle switch.
Post your schematic or layout. Perhaps somebody can help us.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

merlinb

Quote from: rthryhorysak on August 15, 2014, 02:58:59 AM
I want to add a 3 position diode selector switch for germanium, silicon and no diode. However I don't know if I should use a dpdt or 3pdt toggle switch. Also, I don't understand the wiring that would hook everything up so if someone could clarify or show a diagram that would very helpful.
You can do it with a SPDT centre-off switch, or a SP3T switch.  You don't necessarily need a double-pole switch unless you're doing something more elaborate than you have implied in your post.

rthryhorysak

I am using the odc from guitar pcb, and I want to do the switching for D1 and D2

mth5044

A pcb doesnt tell us anything - do you have a schematic? Why does D2 have three pads?

In most cases, as Merlin pointed out, a SPDT center off (on/off/on) would suffice.

rthryhorysak

Here is the schematic

slacker

Here's the schematic :)

To do what you want don't fit Q1, Q2 and D1. Then using a switch wired like Merlin showed connect the middle pin of the switch to "VB" and the side where the diodes all join to where the cathode of D1 went, the side of D1 with the thick line on it on the layout.

rthryhorysak

Sorry, but I am new to building pedals and I don't quite understand the schematic's relation on the pcb. I don't understand what "VB" is. Also, for the wiring of a spdt switch the middle terminal is input, but what is output, are the 2 diodes connected the output, and what would the wiring look like on a sp3t?