Bazz Fuss no longer fussing

Started by spacetimc, August 15, 2014, 08:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacetimc

Greetings! Longtime lurker here, finally dipping toe into forum. Naturally, it is because I have a problem. A couple of months ago I built my first working circuit, a Bazz Fuss, and love it... until this morning. It seemed to sputter, so I thought maybe the battery was dying. I popped in a new battery, and now all of a sudden I have a clean boost. It's a really good boost, but it should be a fuzz.   :P

I am at work and unable to run the troubleshooting checklist posted elsewhere on the forum. My question is general: what might happen that would cause a fuzz pedal to no longer fuzz?

When I have opportunity I'll perform a more thorough check. Thanks in advance!

R.G.

Quote from: spacetimc on August 15, 2014, 08:58:37 AM
My question is general: what might happen that would cause a fuzz pedal to no longer fuzz?
In general, one of many thousands of things.

I understand the urge to mentally work with pedals while you're slaving at something else, but really there isn't a whole lot of useful information in wild guesses, and there isn't enough information to give anything other than a wild guess.

Less general is a gain change or bias shift that reduces gain. Again, many, many ways that could happen, not enough information to make any kind of guess that's even partially educated.

When you can get a meter on the pedal, give us some data to work with as suggested in the debugging thread.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

spacetimc

R.G., thanks for the response! I'll try to let go of thinking about the problem until I can actually work on the problem. 

R.G.

Give me some data... data... must... have ... data...

(picture with skeletally thin wretch crawling across dry sand)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.