BOSS CE-2 at 15v?

Started by nognow, August 16, 2014, 07:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nognow

is it possible to run this version of rhe CE-2 at 15v?

Fender3D

First: Why?
second: Why not?

A schematic link will help...
Too lazy for RE a layout...
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

nognow

well from what I know BBD choruses sound best at 15v
I don't really have a schematic though...

Fender3D

I also think the best supply for MN30xx BBDs is anywhere from 12 to 15V.
You must be aware that varying supply voltage you'll change LFO output voltage, thus effectively changing VCO modulation width.
If that's not an issue, and your caps can stand the higher voltage, then run it 15V safely
Just provide some protection 'cause 15V is the max allowed voltage...
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

roseblood11

The CE-2 sometimes distorts at the input when it's powered at 9V, so 12 to 15V really makes sense.
But that board is really big, why don't you buy a pcb from madbeanpedals, it will fit into a 1590B. I placed a voltage doubler board besides the footswitch.

Mark Hammer

That it could hypothetically run at 15V because "the parts can take it", is separate from whether THAT pedal has been designed to function as intended if you simply throw more than 9v at it.  Yes, other MN3007-based choruses use a 15v supply, but they have been designed to do so, and this one may or may not have.

For example, the schematic shows several points in the clock circuit tied to V+.  Will the clock generate the same range of frequencies (hence delay time/range) when powered by 15V?  I don't know.  I'm certain it can be made to, but as to whether it will simply plug and play, I don't know.

So, as much as I understand the logic underlying the urge to change supply voltage, I don't think that all types of circuits can be as readily adaptable as, say, overdrive circuits are to supply-voltage change.  T'wer I, I'd stick with 9v, and save myself the hassle.  Alternatively, you certainly CAN stick 15V in the external power jack, and I'm confident it won't blow up, but I'm much less confident that it will sound better.