Rangemaster: -ve PNP with voltage converter, rejigged PNP for +ve or NPN?

Started by chumbox, August 17, 2014, 06:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chumbox

Hey All

Looking at building myself a nice germanium Rangemaster and originally was thinking original positive ground PNP version with an IC voltage converter.  After a few searches I have found some designs using PNP transistors in rejigged circuits for negative ground, previously didn't realise this was an option.  I also know there is now quite a collection of decent NPN germanium rangemaster designs around.  Any circuit design better than another?  My gut tells me PNP will sound better than NPN germanium but happy to hear the option.

:)

LucifersTrip

I think the only difference is that the NPN will cost you a bit more...probably. One of those "modern" Russian low leak ones would do the trick and not be too expensive.  Someone here can probably recommend one.
always think outside the box

Ben N

chumbox, please don't take this as any kind of personal attack, but you should recognize that your "gut" is really just your internalization of hype, and maybe a bit of incidental history. The only reason early distortion devices were made PNP is because that's what was available and cheap. Proobably the differences between any 2 random PNP devices will be as great as those between any random PNP and NPN. Which is to say, however you build it, PNP or NPN, socket and experiment.
  • SUPPORTER

chumbox