Another Guv'nor mod idea

Started by axeman010, August 17, 2014, 08:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axeman010

I built a Guv'nor pedal based on the GGG schematic including the mods they detail. I like it a lot and the tone section is a great tool. I play at quite a few jam sessions where you can never tell what amp you will be using and in poor lighting, in the few moments you have before playing, not enough time to set it up to get the sound you want. The Guv' is good for this and also for shaping the sounds for other pedals on my board. Only one slight problem is that its quite hard to tame the distortion. I tried adding an 'on - off - on' switch on the diodes but even with this the distortion cuts in very early on the gain control.

I think this is down the way the gain sections are set up. Most of the gain appears on the second op-amp. So one solution appears to be (referring to the GGG schematic) reduce R6 - 680K, possibly a switchable value (to give more control) and then to compensate increase VR1 -100K . With these mods and the diodes switched out this should give something like a boost with full tone control.

Just wondered if anybody has any experience or views of such a mod ?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way

drolo

Hi,

Have a look at the BluesBreaker Schematic. Same kind of circuit with a few differences. Guv'nor has more gain, has diodes to ground instead of diodes in the feedback loop and a different tone section.

At minimum drive, the BluesBreaker is said to be a "clean-ish" boost.
You could try reducing the resistance in the feedback loop, as you said, and even switch between diodes to ground and diodes in the feedback loop.

Would give you more of an overdrive, like the blues breaker.