Soldering iron/tip problem?

Started by jwyse, August 18, 2014, 12:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

You sure you got real hakko tips? Damn! I have a hakko and my tip has lasted years now... And my hakko is dimed on max heat all of the time ??? Actually I even left it on for a couple days by accident and I am still using the same tip :-\

If you can ever get your hands on any Alpha Metals Purecore or Aqualine solder at a good price, get it! It is THE BEST solder I have ever used!!

We used it years back in rework for Military contract stuff. It wets super fast, strong as hell, shiny as a new quarter and best of all it's water soluble flux cored! That means the flux washes right off with water as if it were never even there! :icon_wink: I saw a few rolls of it on ebay not long ago for $20 which is a fraction of the actual price. I got some rolls of it from work they were disposing of because it was not usable anymore for the mil spec stuff for whatever reason, out of date or exposed to corrosive materials or something, but there was nothing really wrong with it..
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

duck_arse

there is something to be said for the old weller method of presetting the tip itself.

out this way (where men are men, and the sheep are nervous), the only solder brand I can remember is Ersin, and I haven't seen any of it for at least 20 years.

and when we say "R/S", we are meaning "ratsh!t", as in no-good.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.