Mixer Project...any out there?

Started by Canucker, August 24, 2014, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

are there any PCB layouts out there for a good mixer? Non powered....to use for recording instruments... none of that phantom power if that makes things complicated.... I'm assuming there are a ton of projects out there so I guess I'm asking which one(s) would be good or great....and which would be the ones to avoid.

I've made enough fuzz pedals for now its time to try something new ;-p

Canucker

anything there that you've built and liked or built and not liked?

FiveseveN

What features would you like it to have? How many channels, how many busses, what kind of filters, if any? Not much to "like" about a mixer IMO, though I'm sure Neve fanboys would disagree.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Seljer

I was contemplating on building one, but I wanted to add a bunch of fancy options (stereo, panning, aux sends, balanced inputs/outputs, mic preamps, phantom power, EQ, LED clipping indicators, etc...) and quickly decided that buying a chinese 6 channel mixer for $50 was waaaaaay cheaper for what I needed.

So unless you have some specific and very simple (i.e. it only encompasses a handful potentiometers and a three opamps) or are really doing it for the fun of and are splurging on audiophile grade components or rebuilding famous vintage circuits, Behringer and such have you beat  :icon_razz:.

anotherjim

It's been a long time since I contemplated building a full mixer.

The only part of the recording setup I DIY'd is a Monitor control - there wasn't much available at the time, but there's plenty now.

As Seljer said, there are budget makes that are good enough. The BOM for an equivalent DIY job can be very expensive in comparison.
If you want a boutique mic-pre, single or dual channel versions are probably the most worthwhile to DIY, not the whole mixer.

I haven't built those particular designs, but they are very much standard mixer designs.

Canucker

It would be for fun and learning..... I really don't know the specific details of what makes a Neve that much better then a Behringer but I have no doubt there is a great deal of difference. I'd be using it to record guitar and vocals as a connection between the mic and computer....anything like panning would be done later on computer...so basically thinking of something that is bare bones but of good quality. I figure as far as how many channels I could always expand that after getting one going if its something that I like. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am. I'm sure someone will.

Seljer

In that case I think what you'd want are two simple (microphone) preamps, that you can hook up the computer's line in. The computer's builtin mic port and preamp is only good for cheapo little headset electret mics for skype and such. And the line in is stereo so you've got two channels :)

Use something like the INA217/OPA137 (mic preamp schematic is in the datasheet). With a balanced input it'll let you run longer runs of cable without any noise issues. If you plan doing any direct guitar recording, you can add a little JFET buffer or something so you've also got a high impedance input so you don't have to use a separate DI box.

R.G.

You will really, really want to read "Home Recording for Musicians" by Craig Anderton. Used copies are available for under $5 from Amazon.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Canucker

Quote from: Seljer on August 24, 2014, 01:37:45 PM
In that case I think what you'd want are two simple (microphone) preamps, that you can hook up the computer's line in. The computer's builtin mic port and preamp is only good for cheapo little headset electret mics for skype and such. And the line in is stereo so you've got two channels :)

Use something like the INA217/OPA137 (mic preamp schematic is in the datasheet). With a balanced input it'll let you run longer runs of cable without any noise issues. If you plan doing any direct guitar recording, you can add a little JFET buffer or something so you've also got a high impedance input so you don't have to use a separate DI box.

I have a Delta 10/10 sound card so I can plug in rca jacks and two xlr inputs.

mykaitch

Dare I say .... www.themikewilliamsroadshow.com

for a 1000W amp, mixer,light controller....all home design/builds in my garage

scratch

a couple of things I found around the  net ...

http://users.otenet.gr/~athsam/Audio_mixer_6_ch_ENG.htm

http://custompcb.blogspot.ca/ ... on the right hand side a little lower down, link to 'Expandable Audio Mixer' under PDF Manuals, Schematics ...

Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

R.G.

You will really, really want to read "Home Recording for Musicians" by Craig Anderton.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bluebunny

Quote from: R.G. on August 24, 2014, 02:15:34 PM
You will really, really want to read "Home Recording for Musicians" by Craig Anderton. Used copies are available for under $5 from Amazon.

Quote from: R.G. on August 27, 2014, 12:46:22 AM
You will really, really want to read "Home Recording for Musicians" by Craig Anderton.

He wants to build a mixer, R.G., not an echo.   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

R.G.

R.G.