Anyone using EAGLE for PCB design or similar? Noob layout design questions!

Started by steveyraff, August 28, 2014, 10:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hey guys,

I haven't been building pedals for a while as I've been busy with other work. But I was on a learning curve and had been extremely busy before I stopped, at one stage building half a dozen at once for friends etc. I've stopped for too long and need to get back on the saddle before I forget all I was learning.

Heres the problem though - I was building drive pedals using PCB layouts I'd found online, but I was modifying them quite successfully with a variety of other features. Before I start back up, I really want to design my very own PCB layout, incorporating all my mods, effectively creating my own layout.

I've never done this before so its very confusing. A friend who works with electronics gave me a copy of EAGLE and even started my design for me. He did most of it in fact. However, before I even begin to finish it I need to amend a lot of it. He seems to have re-arranged a lot of it so the pads are not corresponding correctly to each joint of each component. If that makes sense.

Anyway, here is my question - in EAGLE is there a built in feature that creates correct spacing for resistors, capacitors and other components?? I've no idea how to get all these measurements correctly - and I've over 150 components  ! ! !  :icon_eek:

Is there a better, easier program I should be using to do this or is EAGLE quite good??    :icon_question:

Many thanks as always,
Steve.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

italianguy63

I've done some Eagle work.  It has a learning curve, and a lot of time to get the hang....

What you need are component "libraries" that have the components drawn as you need.

Gausemarkov has one:

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/tools/software/eagle/eagle-2-libraries/

And, I think the other one I use if from MadBean.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

karbomusic

I started using Eagle just a few weeks ago and in reality 90% of what you want to do is really easy, ya just need the right tutorials. Go through these videos below, I've already made several PCB's with 100% success since I went through these and am now quite addicted to Eagle. It "ain't" that hard once you know what to do. IMHO these should be a sticky:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99864.0

Also get the Gus libraries above and possibly the ones from MadBean and you'll be all set.

steveyraff

Well, I was in the middle of learning everything i need to know about electronics from scratch to begin with. I studied a lot in my own time to allow me to build my own pedals. Learning EAGLE now is probably a little jumping ahead of myself - but even though my knowledge is basic, I still really want to design my own layouts as I really love working in PCB format. And it means I can get several printed out at once.

Out of curiosity to those using EAGLE, how exactly do you guys draw your Earth plane? I am probably doing it wrong - so far the only way I've managed it is to use lines at different thicknesses. It seems a little messy to me - I wish there was a way I could draw an earth plane outline then use a one click 'paint fill' to fill it all in or something similar. Interested to hear about this too !

Appreciate the replies so far. Will look into them.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

karbomusic

Quote from: steveyraff on August 28, 2014, 11:07:29 AM

Out of curiosity to those using EAGLE, how exactly do you guys draw your Earth plane? I am probably doing it wrong - so far the only way I've managed it is to use lines at different thicknesses. It seems a little messy to me - I wish there was a way I could draw an earth plane outline then use a one click 'paint fill' to fill it all in or something similar. Interested to hear about this too !

It's in the video. :) You add a polygon on the bottom layer and name it GND to match the name of the existing GND in the schematic and it will automatically connect them for you. I can't stress enough how many of these questions those videos answer. You'll be glad you watched them. :) I'm getting a fairly complex (for me) double-sided PCB fabbed soon and I thank those tutorials for making it possible.

italianguy63

I've done 3 boards.. (See sale section!).  Thinking about starting on another one or two when I have time.  It's just another very useful skill!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

steveyraff

I definitely will check out the tutorials. But you guys do think I am ok sticking with EAGLE right? Even though I am a complete beginner?

Its just a little daunting, but I guess I should start as I mean to go on and just stick to the tutorials.

Thanks guys.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

karbomusic

Quote from: steveyraff on August 28, 2014, 11:22:56 AM
I definitely will check out the tutorials. But you guys do think I am ok sticking with EAGLE right? Even though I am a complete beginner?

Its just a little daunting, but I guess I should start as I mean to go on and just stick to the tutorials.

Thanks guys.

I'd at least try the tutorials because they are geared toward exactly what you want. I do not think those are anymore daunting that making a circuit work to be honest. I thought it was daunting at first and now I love it if that helps.

steveyraff

Quote from: karbomusic on August 28, 2014, 11:26:03 AM
Quote from: steveyraff on August 28, 2014, 11:22:56 AM

Thanks guys.

I'd at least try the tutorials because they are geared toward exactly what you want. I do not think those are anymore daunting that making a circuit work to be honest. I thought it was daunting at first and now I love it if that helps.

Yep. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My attempt of redrawing out the layout I was using looks like a childs art class compared to these tutorials lol.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

italianguy63

I think it is the "standard."  It looks hard, but you have to learn each piece piece-meal, and it comes together and you understand it.  Like the suggestions:  Use the tutorials!!!!

I learn a little bit more about Eagle every time I do a project.  It's just experience.  MC

steveyraff

Quote from: italianguy63 on August 28, 2014, 12:25:52 PM
I think it is the "standard."  It looks hard, but you have to learn each piece piece-meal, and it comes together and you understand it.  Like the suggestions:  Use the tutorials!!!!

I learn a little bit more about Eagle every time I do a project.  It's just experience.  MC

Cool man. I've been watching these tutorials ever since. One early issue that I am thinking about - this guy is starting with a Schematic and transporting that into his PCB so all his components are there. I don't have a schematic. I have a layout someone else came up with that I am trying to heavily mod. So I have to start from scratch in Eagle's PCB view - if that makes sense. I am sure there is a tutorial for that starting point too though. I'll finish watching these first.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

karbomusic

Quote from: steveyraff on August 28, 2014, 12:29:21 PM
I think it is the "standard."  It looks hard, but you have to learn each piece piece-meal, and it comes together and you understand it.  Like the suggestions:  Use the tutorials!!!!

I learn a little bit more about Eagle every time I do a project.  It's just experience.  MC

I don't have a schematic. I have a layout someone else came up with that I am trying to heavily mod. So I have to start from scratch in Eagle's PCB view - if that makes sense. I am sure there is a tutorial for that starting point too though. I'll finish watching these first.

IMHO in that case, you'd be better off....

1. Use a layout program like DIY Layout Creator and just redraw it to your liking. I don't see the value in Eagle minus the schematic but I am still an Eagle newb.
2. Reverse engineer the layout into a schematic then allow Eagle to help with the PCB.
3. Options I'm unaware of.

Do you by chance have the layout so we can get an idea of what you are up against? However, if it were me and I was heavily modding someone's circuit, I'd make a schematic and breadboard it THEN go to Eagle.

steveyraff

Quote from: karbomusic on August 28, 2014, 12:35:31 PM
Quote from: steveyraff on August 28, 2014, 12:29:21 PM
I think it is the "standard."  It looks hard, but you have to learn each piece piece-meal, and it comes together and you understand it.  Like the suggestions:  Use the tutorials!!!!

I learn a little bit more about Eagle every time I do a project.  It's just experience.  MC

I don't have a schematic. I have a layout someone else came up with that I am trying to heavily mod. So I have to start from scratch in Eagle's PCB view - if that makes sense. I am sure there is a tutorial for that starting point too though. I'll finish watching these first.

IMHO in that case, you'd be better off....

1. Use a layout program like DIY Layout Creator and just redraw it to your liking. I don't see the value in Eagle minus the schematic but I am still an Eagle newb.
2. Reverse engineer the layout into a schematic then allow Eagle to help with the PCB.
3. Options I'm unaware of.

Do you by chance have the layout so we can get an idea of what you are up against? However, if it were me and I was heavily modding someone's circuit, I'd make a schematic and breadboard it THEN go to Eagle.

Sure, its a pretty well known layout - http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Darkside/docs/Darkside_ver.2.pdf 

Its the single sided version on the last page. I've a few things added to it which is all off board work - but I also want to re-arrange the layout to suit my casing needs better. Its a lot of components. I was thinking of just using EAGLE (or another program), to simply copy it verbatim then see how much I can play around with it to make it more something of my own. In which case, I'd need to know which program is easiest for doing a straight PCB copy to start with.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

italianguy63

I've always started from scratch.. Drawing (or redrawing) the schematic in Eagle... Again, time consuming, but it is what I know.  It's the best "tool" / option I have.  On the bright side, once you have it, then you have it.  And, you can make as many PCBs you want easily and cheaply. 

It's what I want because I do multiple builds of the same thing.  If it was just a one-off... I would probably learn to do vero!  Not worth the work for just one!  MC

deadastronaut

watch the tutorials from scratch and make notes...(very important) my head is like a siev...

i now have a small paper notepad just for eagle...

its a lot to take in at first, but like anything, practice, practice, practice....

i'm still learning too... ::)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

steveyraff

Yea guys, I agree. I mean, maybe this is an excessive program for all I need right now - but I feel its probably very worth while starting the learning process now so that I'll start building up my knowledge of it for when I progress on to future projects that it may be extremely useful for.

I am sure once I start to actually try using it, I'll have an abundance of silly questions! The notepad is already out today!
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

steveyraff

Quote from: italianguy63 on August 28, 2014, 10:43:45 AM
I've done some Eagle work.  It has a learning curve, and a lot of time to get the hang....

What you need are component "libraries" that have the components drawn as you need.

Gausemarkov has one:

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/tools/software/eagle/eagle-2-libraries/

Can someone tell me how to properly install this library? I copied and pasted it to the Eagle LBR folder but I am not sure if this is correct? The installation help pages linked on that page are all dead links now. Just making sure I'm doing this the correct way.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

italianguy63

karbomusic