Building a talk box

Started by llmdcll, August 29, 2014, 10:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

The PAiA Pygmy was a small battery-powered amp intended to be a DIY Pignose.

They used to sell a thing that fit snugly over the speaker, with a collet/bezel, or whatever you'd call it, for fitting a tube.  Kinda makes me wonder if something like that, mounted on a mic stand with a really short (i.e., amp's pretty much in front of your face) tube might have some sonic advantages.

llmdcll

https://m.facebook.com/Pspedals/photos/pcb.307279412789919/307279012789959/?type=1&source=49&refid=17

Sorry I hate facebook but I've been posting all my builds on this page. And idk how to put a picture up here =\
I love messing with this thing! This ones kinda ghetto I still need to wire up an a/b but that won't be hard. I made this for my buddy cause he just wanted to mess with one. Next time I def. Wanna put the driver and a small amp in the same enclosure on the floor like a pedal. I could have found an enclosure or built one but I got antsy so I just three it in the amp. He's never gonna gig with it or anything and it's more for fun and to just play with one. I'm happy about this build next time I wanna find a smaller driver that one is huge. And build a tiny giant to power it. And if the enclosure is big enough have a distortion circuit in there. These bad boys sound a lot better with distortion. Thanks for all the help! I've made my first ghetto version and learned some things the next one will def. Be more legit

Nasse

Nice pics that ghetto and PAiA details. Many years ago I did post an Idea on this forum, I was testing some surplus miniature speakers from mobile phone. They were smaller area than fingernail, I stacked four in an array and yet it was small enough to fit inside your mouth. Those speakers were similar they use in navigators, fancy mobile phones that talks to you or you could play music, sound comes from small hole like micro or mini horn driver, no lows really. It was loud enough for home studio or bedroom...

EDIT anybody remember vintage Electro Harmonix Freedom Amp-  small closed combo amp with 10 or 12 speaker (I believe it was Celestion Greenback) and some 40 watts or more, only hole was another jack socket, gave quite sharp strong air blow above, you could feel it from long distance, sure you could have a hose or tube there
  • SUPPORTER