Guild Foxey Lady 3 Knob

Started by bloxstompboxes, August 30, 2014, 06:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

I don't know why no one responded to my questions in this thread http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=78991.0 , but I figured out the issue. After comparing my Big Muff Violet version with the Foxey Lady, I realized something that was in the back of mind from the beginning. The tone stack on the Lady from Fuzzcentral has two components swapped. it made for an awesome range in tone but caused the wave effect. Just in case you're wondering what I am on about, have a look at the two:

Foxey lady:

And the Muff:

The 33k resistor and .004uf caps are backwards. That tonal range is now gone but so is the wave effect and it's as quiet as ever. Would make a good tone control if that wave could be ignored or filtered out somehow. Now I'll just keep checking my phone to see if there are any bids on the thing like I have been every 15min, lol.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

bloxstompboxes

Actually, now that I look at it again, it seems that if the numbering of the pot lugs is opposite from the way I usually draw/interpret them and is actually OK as it is. Suppose it should read top to bottom 1, 2, 3.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

duck_arse

ah-hah! and now you see why some of us so hate 1-2-3 instead of ccw-c-cw. (or even the "increase in this direction" arrow.) neither of those diagrams have any pot markings anyway.

the foxy lady also shows a 100nF to ground after the 33k. is that the right value? I'm just building a muff, and had 100nF there by mistake, and it sounded sh!thouse on the bass end of the tone pot.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

karbomusic

Quoteneither of those diagrams have any pot markings anyway

They look correct to me because I assume the arrow side the front and looking down from above until that doesn't work. Then the obvious one of the volume pot's input on what would normally be 3 with ground on 1 supports that initial theory. Again, until the obvious doesn't work which I'm sure happens and whatever my newbnesss is missing.  :icon_mrgreen:

bloxstompboxes

My violet muff has a lot of bass and almost no high end. The foxy lady has a lot better range. I may need to look at the components in the tone control I used for the muff as it seems I was high on paint fumes or something that day and had made quite a few mistakes on it.

bloxstompboxes

And another mistake. Found I had a .1uf instead of a .01uf cap from the 1rst lug of the tone control to ground. How I ever missed such a large component compared to a small one when I had the revised populated board in front of me, I have no idea. I was using greenies btw. Now the tonal range is much better and the volume has returned. The volume was a separate issue related to a trace going somewhere it shouldn't. An Exacto knife took care of that. It barely made unity at all before. About 3 mistakes altogether on this damn thing, lol. I normally don't have much of an issue.

To be different, I used 2N5550s on this thing and was worried it wouldn't have enough umph to it. It still has that heavy muff sound, that's for sure. Once I box up the revised board, which has 2N5088s, I'll have to do a side by side comparison.