stupid pedal trick: meet cousin lewdvig, the ludwig phase II clone (rev 1)

Started by pinkjimiphoton, September 01, 2014, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

here ya go, finally MINE is done, thanks to my brother Dino Tsiptsis... ladies and germs, meet cousin lewdvig.... a clone (first revision) of the legendary rare hen's tooth called the ludwig phase II synthesizer. pretty amazing unit, i can't possibly get into all it does in a short video, but.... this should give ya an idea...

dino.... i love you man!!! thank you soooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Using the EV-5 is sheer brilliance!! I love the way you can go past the filter to a straight fuzz sound, without having to bypass. Almost like a rhythm, and lead, type setting, without having to bypass.

Excellent video Brother Jimi. Sounds amazing,.

:icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: digi2t on September 01, 2014, 09:56:35 PM
Using the EV-5 is sheer brilliance!! I love the way you can go past the filter to a straight fuzz sound, without having to bypass. Almost like a rhythm, and lead, type setting, without having to bypass.

dino.... man, i love you brother... THANK YOU.... i am speechless still, a week later.
i am beyond grateful for your help and friendship man... you're one of a kind.
and rg and keppy and everyone else who helped, you cats are so outtasite ya make them stars come out at nite. ;)

the ev5 works well... it is cool, cuz you can swell DOWN from fuzz to filter and i BETCHA that was the original idea they had envisioned
on all the mushrooms or whatever they were on. cuz it's trippy as hell.
but... with the trim control too, you can dial in the range... i like it (right now) as set, but you can turn it down some more and still get the fuzz into filter effect, AND make it self oscillate and play it with the treadle.

IT'S SICK bro... with the ev5 you can set it however you want, or even differently for different applications, which is hip. i'm thinking it may be worthy to consider the ev5 schematic, and maybe add a side mount "fine tune" range pot to the crybaby shells you guys already worked up. i got a feeling you sick freaks will enjoy adding those capabilities to this monster.  :icon_twisted:

i do have to have a play with the fuzz balance maybe... it acts just like the original did, tho, so that's perfect. the fuzz repeat percussion is tuned perfectly, and will just barely self oscillate on ramp downs, which is VERY hip... i can tell we have similar ears for the voicing.

one thing i WOULD consider maybe being a good addition would be a range switch on the speed control, i would love to be able to make the speed of the fuzz repeat and formant filter modulation go to buzz saw speeds... i bet it would sound like a twisted ring modulator.

also, like on the original, i definitely DO, and so did a couple friends, hear a difference when combinations of the vowel counter and parallel switches were on... subtle, but different, noticeable mostly in the "phasey" kinda sounds.

so... how can i double the speed of the modulation? cut in a switch with the original values maybe in the middle of an on/on/on with double the value for half the speed (would this be considered flanging or phasing if it were able to go that slow?) and half the value for double the speed?

i don't wanna f this up, so.... just something to think about.

but anyways... yeah, man.... this thing is 'snappin'in'

:icon_smile:

thanks dino!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

digi2t

Quoteone thing i WOULD consider maybe being a good addition would be a range switch on the speed control, i would love to be able to make the speed of the fuzz repeat and formant filter modulation go to buzz saw speeds... i bet it would sound like a twisted ring modulator.

Range switch... OK, here goes. R4 is the trimmer that sets the range for the animation, sooooooo....

Get a DPDT toggle switch (on-on, two position), and two 500K trimmers. Solder one trimmer cross the top lugs, and the other across the bottom lugs. Remove the R4 trimmer from the main board, and run two wires from it's pads, to the center lugs of the toggle switch. Set the resistances on the two trimmers, one to cover the slow territory, and one to cover the fast territory. You might get a bit of overlap between the two, but no biggy.

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

wavley

Quote from: digi2t on September 01, 2014, 09:56:35 PM

I modded the Line 6 expression pedal and it does the same thing.  I think because of the mechanism it uses there is a much broader sweep from the pot vs. using a gear type of a wah pedal.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

R.G.

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 01, 2014, 10:33:32 PM
so... how can i double the speed of the modulation? cut in a switch with the original values maybe in the middle of an on/on/on with double the value for half the speed (would this be considered flanging or phasing if it were able to go that slow?) and half the value for double the speed?
C2 (1uF) is the master timing cap. Double it to 2uF by paralleling up another 1uF to make it switch to half as fast. Change it to 0.5uF (0.47uF) for twice the speed. Notice that these are "gear shifts" that move the whole range down or up.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

digi2t

Quote from: R.G. on September 02, 2014, 03:50:54 PM
C2 (1uF) is the master timing cap. Double it to 2uF by paralleling up another 1uF to make it switch to half as fast. Change it to 0.5uF (0.47uF) for twice the speed. Notice that these are "gear shifts" that move the whole range down or up.

Even better. Thanks R.G..
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: R.G. on September 02, 2014, 03:50:54 PM

sounds perfect, RG... i have some on/on/on, so i could have 2uF 1uF 0.47uF for three ranges. that could be cool. is there a speed that would be TOO high? i mean, if i went to say .22, would it speed up to the point where it could lock up or anything? seems it would be really cool to have a much larger sweep.

thanks guys, glad ya enjoyed the vid, too ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

R.G.

That particular circuit is not likely to lock up for smaller caps. It will lock up if the current through R5 into the cap ever gets bigger than the hold current of the 2N2646 - which is not all that well known.

You could try a 1M for that control, but it probably ought to be reverse log taper, and even then it would be touchy. Subbing in a 1M only gives you slower than it is now up to the same top speed it has now. To get a much wider range in good grace, you really need to redesign Q1/R4/R5 and speed control to have a wider range of currents than the 500K speed control gives you now.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

midwayfair

My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Govmnt_Lacky

also, like on the original, i definitely DO, and so did a couple friends, hear a difference when combinations of the vowel counter and parallel switches were on... subtle, but different, noticeable mostly in the "phasey" kinda sounds.

I was under the impression that these formant switches were "stacked." By this I mean that, as seen from left to right as Parallel, Counter, and Vowel. If you have Parallel on... and you turn on Counter, effectively the Counter will "trump" the Parallel and all you will hear is the Counter formant filter. If you had them ALL on at the same time, you would only hear the Vowel formant filter. Basically, you only hear the right-most active filter.

Am I wrong?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pinkjimiphoton

greg,
looking at the schematic, no you are right... actually the parallel trumps all...
BUT .... and i'm suspecting it may be leakage thru the switch or along the ground planes, i definitely hear a difference with combinations.
my original one, too, does that. it's subtle, but it's there.

particularly noticeable with high FFM levels when ramping down. check it out. to me, it's noticeable. but i did a LOT of LSD when i wa a kid ;)

i almost put this on my live board last nite, but i don't want it to get ruined by peeps stomping it to death. may still bring it tonite to freak peeps out tho ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

wavley

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 04, 2014, 11:17:07 AM
greg,
looking at the schematic, no you are right... actually the parallel trumps all...
BUT .... and i'm suspecting it may be leakage thru the switch or along the ground planes, i definitely hear a difference with combinations.
my original one, too, does that. it's subtle, but it's there.

particularly noticeable with high FFM levels when ramping down. check it out. to me, it's noticeable. but i did a LOT of LSD when i wa a kid ;)

i almost put this on my live board last nite, but i don't want it to get ruined by peeps stomping it to death. may still bring it tonite to freak peeps out tho ;)

Yeah, I hear a difference too, I think my favorite combo is Counter and Vowel together.  There's something going on there that even if one dominates the others there is some sort of parasitics or something causing a difference.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

pinkjimiphoton

yeah, exactly. just like the original.

having played with it a  bit more, i'm convinced they were shooting for the same situation i lummoxxed actross.. if ya sweep past the formant filter, you get a very useable and cool fuzz. i bet they envisioned it morphing from fuzz into wah into almost phaser territory.
i bet a 22k pot with a trmmer would let ya get all that with a crybaby, but it would probably be a little harder to find the sweet spots. now that several of these are running, maybe it's time to try and figure out how to make it with mods to bring it up to date slightly.

greg, i was goofing on jon patton's post just before yours bro ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

wavley

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 04, 2014, 12:30:24 PM
now that several of these are running, maybe it's time to try and figure out how to make it with mods to bring it up to date slightly.

Working on it bro...

Quote from: wavley on February 06, 2014, 01:29:02 PM
Quote from: R.G. on February 06, 2014, 12:09:54 PM
The Hi-Z input could certainly profit from some upgrading.

... but then it wouldn't be *original*    :icon_lol:

The input there is about 200K if I did the math right, and with a 0.01, that gives a rolloff of 79Hz, so you are losing some bass, and probably some treble from the loading on guitar pickups.

One easy upgrade would be to sub in a 2N7000 or BS170 MOSFET for the NPN, and change the biasing 680K's up to about 2.2M each. That thing's running from the 17V supply, so it probably has enough voltage that you don't have to diddle the values of the bias network to make up for the 2-4V of the MOSFET gate threshold that the output resistor will drop.

Mine is built in a Jonathan Livingston Seagull lunchbox, at this point I'm not sure original is a concern for me ;D  My Traynor was a bit boomier than the Cornford I just acquired so it didn't come up as an issue until last night, I foresee it being a bigger problem when I play my baritone.

I *think* I might have a BS170 around, I know I have an IRF510 I picked up at Radio Shack because I saw somebody had built an SHO with one that I never got around to building.

I REALLY need to make a parts order soon to replenish my stock and build that Schumann who's board is sitting on my nightstand.

Quote from: wavley on February 07, 2014, 10:04:02 AM
So I bypassed the .01 cap with a 10uF and all my bass was back.  I didn't get around to putting in a MOSFET yet, hopefully I'll get to that soon.

I think I've mentioned this before, but has anyone else noticed that the effected signal is louder than the bypassed?  Or is there something wrong with mine?  It certainly doesn't sound broken or anything but often I find myself reaching for a volume knob and then turning back up after I turn it off.  I guess my question is, should I be looking for an issue, or should I just add an attenuator to the effected output?

Quote from: wavley on April 15, 2014, 09:48:23 AM
Well, I finally got around to adding a volume control to my effected out and combined with the mixing resistors I added a while back so I could use the stereo out switch as a mono clean blend I have to say that it's made this so much more of a versatile unit!  Now I can push it to the background and have it follow cleaner sounds for added dimension so I'll be able to turn it on a little more often without melting people's faces and brains.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr