Wanted to add a simple boost/fuzz before the output of my pedal, not working :o

Started by acehobojoe, September 03, 2014, 06:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acehobojoe

http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/boms/10_Min_dirt_&_boost_Schematic.pdf

Put that right after my final pot hoping to give my pedal some extra boost/fuzz. I don't know why it isn't working right. My first thought was that the 9v power wasn't properly powering both circuits, but I even tried powering it with an external 9v, no luck.

Also, when I disconnect the 9v+ from the final fuzzboost circuit it works normally and sounds like the unboosted but with a weird filter effect.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark Hammer

I've been really impressed with how good this little circuit sounds: http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.ca/2012/02/fred-briggs-64-vintage-vox-tones-galore.html  Whether it cops a Vox vibe accurately, I'm in no position to say.  I just like how it sounds.

Not much more complicated than the circuit you show, although the diodes may need to be ordered in.  The 1k gain control can simply be a trimpot thatyou set to taste, and the "headroom" pot can simply be either a trimpot or a 3-position toggle.  The toggle could vary between 10k (max headroom), 0 ohms (min headroom), and some pleasing in between setting, like 2k8.  Stick a 10k resistor in series with the diode pair, and run a wire from the 10k/diodes junction to the middle lug on the toggle.  Then, solder a 3k9 resistor between the two outside lugs,  Then run a wire from either one of those outside lugs to where the 10k resistor meets up with the 22nf cap and 47k resistor.  Note that "more headroom" = less clipping and hotter output.

acehobojoe

not sure if that will solve my issue, but I'll give her a shot in the future!

duck_arse

well, you still have to give us some voltages. there's not really enough stuff there for it to go too far wrong. pics of your build?
don't make me draw another line.

acehobojoe

This is the first effect http://imgur.com/0TYF8dk

then it runs into this one
http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/boms/10_Min_dirt_&_boost_Schematic.pdf

I can supply some pics a little later when I get home. They both work on their own, but not connected.

mth5044

I don't think you'd get too much more fuzz if you put a boost after the fuzz. If it's a clean boost, the effect will just cause the fuzz to be louder or softer with volume. Perhaps try putting it before the fuzz and see what happens.

karbomusic

First off let me say that I think what you are doing and how you are going about it is a great academic exercise with a potential useful final result.

QuotePut that right after my final pot hoping to give my pedal some extra boost/fuzz

Secondly, I'm tempted to ask if this circuit design is actually what you really want based on your description unless of course the exercise is so that you end up with a new circuit that does just that. In other words continue on but I wonder if there aren't better starting points. Don't quote me, total noob, probably completely off base, just a curiosity.

acehobojoe

Well, actually, you are exactly right! I have learned a lot through it and tried a couple of different arrangements and now I have it I think!

The result I'm left with is not exactly what I expected, but it is useful and I think it's a great sound.

I used a 100k from the 9v source and had to resistor it down or "pad" it down maybe? And from that the transistor properly had voltage and wasn't producing oscillation. It was oscillating, which arguably is cool for a future synth project :D, but with less 9v it produced the boost I wanted. I also ran a few resistors from the output to make it a little less intense of a boost. Those diodes aren't really making a huge difference, so I think I'm going to use the switch I have for just a on and off for the boost. There already is a crazy switch on the pedal, now there are two :)

karbomusic

QuoteThe result I'm left with is not exactly what I expected, but it is useful and I think it's a great sound.

Great and great!  :icon_lol:

I started with the Electra Distortion. I think I messed with that thing for a couple of months just learning.