Russian Transistors

Started by alambike, September 04, 2014, 11:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alambike

Hello,

Did anyone already use or research about the Russians transistors?

Beacuse I would like to try it but before It would be interesting ask for someone to know the experience with this kind of transistors.

Another question, what is the procedure to chose the transistors? Only the hEF ?

Thank you very much.

micromegas

Quote from: alambike on September 04, 2014, 11:37:30 AM
Hello,

Did anyone already use or research about the Russians transistors?

Beacuse I would like to try it but before It would be interesting ask for someone to know the experience with this kind of transistors.

Another question, what is the procedure to chose the transistors? Only the hEF ?

Thank you very much.

Many people use Russian transistors already, both diy and comercial builders. You only have to know what circuit you need them for -> use the search button, there's plenty of info right there.

About selection: hfe is important but also depends on the circuit and how you want them to work. If you need more gain, you could always use a Darlington configuration (search button).
Also low leakage is prefereable (sometimes a need).
And the type: NPN or PNP (NPN Russian germaniums with high hfe are scarce too).

I'm sure there are others here that can school you on this subject better than I could, but I hope you could start from here.

Software Developer @ bela.io

Blitz Krieg

bool

Isnt Russia punished with economic sanctions right now?

Financial forecast? Russian fuzz transistors price will rise.

My guess is that some sellers will try to unload the Hfe/leakage rejects on unsuspecting newbs.

DrAlx

Don't rely on hfe alone.  If you can, try and get hold of the data sheet (which will be in Russian).
I only tried one type of transistor.  These little flying saucers called GT308V (or rather the IT308V which is military spec version).
I got these for a fuzz factory project and they didn't work out for me.
Measuring hfe using R.G.'s method gave lower value than I was expecting.
When I found the data sheet in Russian I saw why.  I've marked some things on the the sheet to help decode these things...

Collector, Base and Emitter are pretty much the same word in russian, only spelt differently.
Collector begins with a "K".  Emmiter begins with a "back to front E (a bit like a number 3)", and Base begins with a "lower case b with a bar over the top".
The other thing to know is that "B" in the text is read as V in russian (i.e. volts).  Greek letters are read as you would expect, so Gamma is G, Lambda is L, and Pi is P.

The data sheet starts by quoting figures for an emitter current of 10 mA, and shows a range of values from 80 to 150 (which you can guess is the gain).
There is a chart than gives more info, and it shows how the range varies with Ie.
So it seems you can reliable get hfe over 100, but you need to run things at really high current (max gain at 60 mA) which is way higher than I've seen most fuzzes run at.  

The other problem I found was that these particular transistors had some random weird fizzy bursts of noise that kind of made them unusable for me.
I don't know if that's because I was running them at very low current compared to their spec.

Finom1

Quote from: DrAlx on September 06, 2014, 07:25:21 AM
Don't rely on hfe alone.  If you can, try and get hold of the data sheet (which will be in Russian).
I only tried one type of transistor.  These little flying saucers called GT308V (or rather the IT308V which is military spec version).
I got these for a fuzz factory project and they didn't work out for me.
Measuring hfe using R.G.'s method gave lower value than I was expecting.
When I found the data sheet in Russian I saw why.  I've marked some things on the the sheet to help decode these things...

Collector, Base and Emitter are pretty much the same word in russian, only spelt differently.
Collector begins with a "K".  Emmiter begins with a "back to front E (a bit like a number 3)", and Base begins with a "lower case b with a bar over the top".
The other thing to know is that "B" in the text is read as V in russian (i.e. volts).  Greek letters are read as you would expect, so Gamma is G, Lambda is L, and Pi is P.

The data sheet starts by quoting figures for an emitter current of 10 mA, and shows a range of values from 80 to 150 (which you can guess is the gain).
There is a chart than gives more info, and it shows how the range varies with Ie.
So it seems you can reliable get hfe over 100, but you need to run things at really high current (max gain at 60 mA) which is way higher than I've seen most fuzzes run at. 

The other problem I found was that these particular transistors had some random weird fizzy bursts of noise that kind of made them unusable for me.
I don't know if that's because I was running them at very low current compared to their spec.

Thank you!!!