Better killswitch?

Started by Death Super Mario, September 04, 2014, 01:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Death Super Mario

killswitch with piezo? ???
If I make simple  stutter switch with push button I get cliks and pops.
Also If I repeatedly push button some point it breaks.'
With piezo I can send electric signal to trigger.
If there is something than I can trigger with piezo what cuts signal momentarily, piezo works.
Photoresistor is another great idea. Problem comes if I have no or bad lighting.
Using my guitar toggle switch back and forth will break it.  Many switches are not made for repeatedly pushing
Maybe some vandal proof switch? Great but clicks and pops don't go a way.

FiveseveN

Quote from: Death Super Mario on September 04, 2014, 01:48:38 PM
Many switches are not made for repeatedly pushing
Arcade buttons are: http://www.adafruit.com/products/473
Also make sure you're shunting your signal to ground, not interrupting it.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

R.G.

Keyboard switch or tactile switch.

And yes, shunt (short) the signal to ground, do not open it.

There are better solutions with JFETs to keep noise down, but a shunt switch works OK.

As far as the switch's life time, remember the engineer's mantra - if you can't make it last forever, make it easy to replace. Think of several identical keyboard or tactile switches that could be popped in easily in the future if/when one wears out.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Death Super Mario

Keyboard or tactile  switch are too cheesy.
Im not putting it on guitar. I can use it better as pedal.

R.G.

Quote from: Death Super Mario on September 05, 2014, 03:41:57 PM
Keyboard or tactile  switch are too cheesy.
Im not putting it on guitar. I can use it better as pedal.
OK, thought it was on the guitar.

In that case, you have added to the difficulty. Making a switch last a long time is one problem. Making it live long and prosper when it's being stomped on is a second and possibly more difficult problem.

The solution to this set of problems is more a mechanical than electronic. One good way is to separate the issues. If you can make some kind of mechanical actuator that will last a long time being stomped on, and have that mechanical motion actuate a small, light, long life switch somehow, you have a chance.

You could use a microswitch, or you could use an optical interruptor. Come to think of it, you could do the Morely trick and use a light and an LDR and have the footswitch mechanism just be the foot pressing an opaque shutter between them.

Or you could use a magnet and a reed switch, moving the magnet with the foot actuator.

Or you could use any kind of switch, optical, magnetic, or hard-contact and have that switch control the gate voltage to a JFET for noiseless switching.

Or you could...

It's a target-rich environment.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

smallbearelec

Death Super Mario

Quote from: R.G. on September 05, 2014, 05:41:23 PM
You could use a microswitch, or you could use an optical interruptor. Come to think of it, you could do the Morely trick and use a light and an LDR and have the footswitch mechanism just be the foot pressing an opaque shutter between them.
That way I can use optical tremolo.  Like in make magazine. Just need to make right disk for it.