Which Switches are needed for GGG TubeScreamer Mods?

Started by Hav, September 06, 2014, 07:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hav

Hi,

having a bit of a problem working out which switches I need for the mods over at General Guitar Gadgets 'Clipper' and 'AMZ Fat' mods...

just about to order batch parts want to make sure its correct...

this is where i am ordering from:

http://www.rapidonline.com/electronic-components/miniature-toggle-switches-sci-30254

duck_arse

well, the fat mod is just shorting a cap, no? so any single pole, single or double throw will do (spst or spdt).

as for the clipping diodes switch, with a spdt-centre-off switch, you get the centre position connecting nothing. in this position, your highest Vf diodes do the clipping. in the 2 outer positions, you can connect lower Vf diodes, or short across one of series diodes.

any of that make sense? how many clipp options are you thinking of?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Hav

thanks for the reply! :-)

yes it kind of makes sense. so for the fat mod its just a On-off switch, thats fine and makes sense..

the clipping switch, is an on-off-on switch?

whats confusing me is the way they are written = 'on-off-(on)' i just want to make sure that the bracket means its momentary which really means its NOT what im looking for. I need an 'On-off-on' switch right?

Im planning of just having the 2 diodes to switch between, which should give me 3 different variations if im not mistaken..

nate77

Yep, that's correct. A basic spst on-off-on for the diode switch and an on-off for the fat switch. Pretty strait forward. Those 2 mods are very common in OD/distortion circuits. Mods on kits from places like GGG and some of the other well reputed kit suppliers are how I cut my teeth in this "hobby". Good luck my man. Luckily, this is a very straight forward set of mods.

duck_arse

mmmm, I've confused myself again.

I was thinking you had the north/south led combo as default, and then switched other diode combos across them. if you just want [one north/one-two south] type without the leds, you only need another spst, to short your second diode.

an complete circuit diagram including suggested mods saves lots of confusions.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.