BSIAB 2 how get tight bass and modern Mids High gain

Started by Andy456, September 07, 2014, 12:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy456

Hello,

i´ve just finished my BSIAB 2 pedal, ist was a kit form http://www.uk-electronic.de (The caps and resistors have other number, you could stay at the original layout form ggg if you have some nice mods)

I found a few mods here, but sometimes no discription what the mods does or wich cap or restistor is for what part.

So i tested my pedal and i found out, that the bass could be more tight and the sound or more the mids could be a little more (it goes modern high gain like) to sound better in a full Band

the sound i´m after is like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_jaC9tW7zA (Minute 16.00 or the Intro)  it is a high gain Marshall JVM.

I know the pedal is no heavy high gain, for me it is enough i think, but the sound could a bit more modern. like the JVM i think.

So what would you do?

perhaps does anyone has a CMAT Brownie layout? I think they did the right tweaks to the BSIAB 2 layout the samples on youtube sound like they have a better bass response and the Mids sound a little bit better to set right into a Band Mix?

it would be great to when you show me your Tweaks and mods and tell me what to do to effect the thinks.

Thanks

Andy

Ripdivot

Quote from: Andy456 on September 07, 2014, 12:19:14 PM
Hello,

i´ve just finished my BSIAB 2 pedal, ist was a kit form http://www.uk-electronic.de (The caps and resistors have other number, you could stay at the original layout form ggg if you have some nice mods)

I found a few mods here, but sometimes no discription what the mods does or wich cap or restistor is for what part.

So i tested my pedal and i found out, that the bass could be more tight and the sound or more the mids could be a little more (it goes modern high gain like) to sound better in a full Band

the sound i´m after is like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_jaC9tW7zA (Minute 16.00 or the Intro)  it is a high gain Marshall JVM.

I know the pedal is no heavy high gain, for me it is enough i think, but the sound could a bit more modern. like the JVM i think.

So what would you do?

perhaps does anyone has a CMAT Brownie layout? I think they did the right tweaks to the BSIAB 2 layout the samples on youtube sound like they have a better bass response and the Mids sound a little bit better to set right into a Band Mix?

it would be great to when you show me your Tweaks and mods and tell me what to do to effect the thinks.

Thanks

Andy

I would start by making C6 smaller, maybe try a 10nf to start with. This will help eliminate some of the bottom end that makes the bass a little on the loose side. Another mod is to change C1 to a 15nf which will flatten out the frequency response a little more and give you better control over the high end.

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Andy456

wow 29 pages that´s a lot, i hope can find the answers.

Thank you.

anyone other how have the sulution for my question in his hands?

Thank you!

Kind regards

J0K3RX

This is just my opinion...

You're gonna have to pull some slick mojo to get a bsiab to sound like that video and it's gonna take more than a few strategically swapped or added resistors, caps etc... Personally, I would go with a Soldano type JFET/MOSFET preamp design and tweak to the desired tone... Or, I would find the actual amp schematic and try to reproduce it in small scale. I know there are people who don't think this method yields good results for various obvious and legitimate reasons but, I have had very good results in doing this! Of course you will have to make modifications as these will not translate over to small scale without doing so... They are the same modifications across the board on almost all of the tube to JFET conversions, once you know what those modifications are you can make a JFET/MOSFET replica of damn near anything, once you set your mind to it! Some make the transition from tube to semiconductor easily and others do not...

You can try a tube screamer in front of the bsiab, that will do wonders for tightening the low end and will give you a really sharp edge on the pick attack! On the TS make sure you turn the gain almost all the way off and the level almost all the way up. If you don't set it that way the results will be noisy and flabby. Set the tone however sounds best to you..

As for the mids take a look at the Wampler SLOstortion schematic which is a highly modified bsiab type design. Something like this could give you the mids you desire and much more! This mod won't be do-able without redesigning the whole thing, but something to consider.

The JVM series looks pretty hot, wouldn't mind kicking one of these out sometime! Even a tube version of the preamp would be nice!

Schematics
http://jvmforum.com/schematics

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Andy456

Thank you,

i hope i can test my pedal in the next days at my Live Amp and with my DIY TS808  :icon_lol:

CHeers